Cambet

I woke up and noticed I was surrounded by trees. I began to panic! It would be impossible to find my way home!
Thinking of home made me wish I could hear my mother say,” We have missed you so much, I am sorry about our fight this morning,”
“What’cha doing?” asked a friendly voice. “I’m Tom. And I had a fight with my folk’s too.”
“How did you know I had a fight with my parents?” I demanded.
“Well, everyone that comes here does.” He sounded surprised. “Don’t you know where you are?… your in Cambet!”
Now, I know that Cambet is only a song…. My father sang it to me!
You have a fight with your parents,
Don’t be mad,
They feel just as bad.
If you don’t forgive,
Then you’ll regret.
And have to go to Cambet.
I could not believe what Tom had said. “Umm…. I’m Amelia. I should think if we want to ever get home we shall stick together.”
“Hmm… nice name and I doubt that I shall ever get home. I had an extreme fight with my parents and I have been here about six months already.”
He was still talking, but after saying he had been here half the year I just stared at him.
I was so worried if that would be my fate too, as my fight with my parents was terrible. We were fighting because mother said I couldn’t go to the school my friends were going to. She was saying,” You’ll make new friends”.
I eventually convinced Tom to try and help us get home. So we looked for clues.
“I’ve done this a million times before and never found anything,” he kept complaining.
“Well a pair of new eyes never hurt.” I replied. Then I thought how others had got home. So I asked Tom if he knew anyone who gone home.
“Yeah, heaps” he sounded confused.
“Well didn’t they tell you how before they went.” I said.
“Let me see…NO! When you find out, how to get home you either just go, or it takes you straight away.”
I must have looked sad so he added “But I’ll try and tell you.”
I was still mad at my parents when I realised that I should go to the school because I would get better education and mother was thinking about me when she made the choice. So I forgave her.
I woke up for the second time that day and realised, I was home! At first that was all that mattered. But then I thought about Tom. He was probably sad as he made a promise, that if he found out how he would tell me. Then I found a book on my desk. It was called Cambet. I had a flip through and in about the fifth verse it said…
So you have made it out of Cambet,
And you feel sad.
You just left a friend at Cambet.
So say these words now:
I love my parents,
And will always forgive,
As long as Cambet let my friend out with
All that forgiveness too.
Next thing I knew Tom was on the floor in my room. He made it and that’s all that mattered, other than seeing my parents again!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!