New Home

Halloween
I know it is Halloween only because there were humans saying it is. I am sitting on a branch of a gum tree trying hidden in the shade. There are children below me trying to look for birds and I dare not to show myself. They look like strange monsters too and they’re shouting peculiar words.” I dare you-hit a parrot or I’ll cut your throat!” or “Oi! Capture a parrot!” I knew that if ventured out into the open, I will become a rainbow lorikeet that has been pelted with many stones. Maybe I’ll fly away…

I jump and start flapping my green wings and I soon enjoy the flight but I didn’t notice the small ‘demon’ running really slowly after me. Too late- CRASH!

Now, I’m in a cage. That little human child had caught me. There are little human children with strange masks and clothing. One with a hook as a limb! I say, these humans are mad! But they frighten me as well. No one can cope with giants staring at you. I turned away and started scraping the cage with my foot. It was metal. I hopped away-no escape at all. I’ve always wondered why the humans had these things-now I know.

Some strange looking humans came in. A cat…an old woman….some sort of bandit…a huge, orange fruit and a white cloth. The old woman runs to me and jabs her stick through the bars and tries desperately to touch me. Nothing happened in her favour so she started crying and all the others came running. I really wonder why these creatures are so naïve. This person has just attempted something impossible and they comfort her as she cries to seek attention.

“You all right Peanut? No broken bones, Peanut? Want a peanut, Peanut?” Everyone laughed so she through my cage across the room. It hit the wall and the door fell apart. Freedom to me! I flew out and made for the open door but the humans were too quick for me. The white cloth threw the door closed so I made for the window-slam! I propelled myself up some steps and into a room. An open window! My final ticket to freedom! I fly out the window leaving the huge house. I look around as I land on a gum tree.

All around me, there is nothing familiar and the odd sensation I felt in the room happened again. I was all alone with no one to help me in any way. I was frightened. I was alone and lost. I fluttered onto another tree. A wattle tree this time. The bright yellow flowers were blooming below me, the lovely green leaves shading the branches, the small rustling sounds of insects abundant….this was quite an amazing place…..A parrot must choose its home, then the tree they choose will come alive…..Welcome to my new home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!