Dancing Dreams

Melissa sadly watched her Mother drying the dishes, wiping the bubbles until they dissolved away. Just as she had dissolved all her dancing dreams with one crushing word ‘NO’! The story started a few weeks ago, when Melissa was flicking through her emails. Suddenly, she saw an email from MISS LAYLA’S DANCE ACADEMY. This was where Melissa did dancing and if there was one thing that Melissa loved, it was dancing! Melissa clicked on the email, wondering what Miss Layla wanted. Her eyes widened, as she read the email and excitedly squealed!


Dear Melissa,
Your impressive dance moves have caught my eye and I would like to invite you into our national dance team! Permission from your parents is needed as there are costs involved but please send me a return email as quickly as possible.
Thank-you
Miss Layla






Melissa read the email over and over again, until suddenly she realised there were costs involved. Melissa groaned, extra costs always meant another $150 and her usual dance lessons already cost $50 each. Melissa did two lessons, Ballet and Jazz. Mum would never spend $250 on dancing! Melissa sat and thought hard for a long time, but the only solution she could come up with was to drop one of the classes. She sighed loudly and decided it would have to be Ballet, since Jazz was the class she enjoyed most. Melissa walked slowly towards her mum’s bedroom, dragging her feet across the ground, not bothering to lift them. When she reached the bedroom door, she sighed again causing her mum to look up from her work and ask her what was wrong. Melissa burst out about the dancing email and how happy she had been until she saw that extra costs were involved! Melissa breathed slowly, as she wiped wet, streaming tears from her face. Her mum said in kind but firm tone, “I’m sorry, but no!”
That night, Melissa cried herself to sleep wishing and wishing that she could join the national dance team. It was very late before finally Melissa fell into a deep sleep, filled with dreams about dancers joining the national dance team without her. For the next few days Melissa couldn’t bear to check her emails. Finally, her mum asked her, “how was she going to do any dancing, without knowing any of the information?” Melissa sulkily logged onto her account and noticed that there was a new email from MISS LAYLA’S DANCE ACADEMY. She clicked on it expecting information about when dancing was starting but the email said this:


Dear Melissa,
I was surprised not to received email confirming your place in the National Dance Team, but I realise now you don’t know the costs! The team fee is $10!
Miss Layla
This changed everything! Melissa ran and told her mum, the actual cost! She agreed instantly that Melissa could join and who knows maybe all of Melissa’s dancing dreams will come true one day!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!