Satan's Song

The people on the Dark side are evil and ugly, with no empathy and no redeeming qualities. The people on the Light side are beautiful and pure of heart, with no faults at all. If only it were that simple.

Th eerie music crept in through the window, no matter how tightly I closed it. I tried ear plugs and buried my head under the pillow, but still I could hear it. You would have thought it would wake my whole family, but I'd discovered that it was only me that could hear it. Just my luck.

I finally slept around midnight, but the music invaded my dreams. I dreamed that I was at school chasing after my old boyfriend, James. Every time I got close to him he would sprint off, smiling back at me. Then the music started, so loud it seemed physical. Then we were out of the school, in the forest, but still he evaded me. As I ran he seemed to change, scars appearing on his face, his skin paling until he was a deathly white. The dreamy haze lifted, goosebumps appeared on my arms and then suddenly James was only a meter away. Awareness dawned. I was awake. This was no dream. This wasn't even a nightmare. This was far, far worse.

"James?" I asked tentatively. "Is that you?"

Suddenly the paleness drained away, until he was the James I know. The James I used to know.

"Yes," his voice came out husky, an awkward croak making me suspect the Demon had not left, simply allowing James to talk. "I am here."

"Why have you brought me here, James?" I'd meant for that to come out bravely,but it sounded more like a whimper.

"You know. Have you thought about my offer?"

"It's not right, James. It's evil," that one came out bravely. Not that it helped now that he'd figured out how scared I was.

"No it isn't. How could it be? It's no different to the magic that you practice. I'm serious."

"It is evil. Sharing your body with something else? It's not natural!"

"But it is. We are finally able to reach our full potential with magic. It's what we're supposed to do!"

"No, it isn't! You're getting magic from an external source by sharing your body with a demon. Everything about that screams evil! And you plan on forcing everyone into doing that! Why don't you realise what you're doing?" I sobbed. Why did he have to turn?

"Please," he pleaded with me. "He wants a powerful person like you you on our side. I want you on our side! But he's not as patient as me. He'll make you!" I should my head. James sighed, then paled as the eerie music filled the air. Yet although I knew the song well, it was so much louder now, lulling me into a dream state, but this time I could not fight back, the pull was so strong...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!