Margareta's Appearance

Alyssa woke up to absolute silence. Tears dried on her perfectly tanned cheeks and tissues lined the double bed like a wall. Almost instantly, Alyssa started to form a picture in her head, a scene which she had repeated over and over again until it came as naturally as walking.
His blank expression as he told her what she had already feared to be true, a girl- with milky white skin and hair as dark as night itself- with him. It crushed her like a ton of bricks. Cheating. For 2 months he had been cheating and for 2 months she had treated that girl like a sister.
Tears formed again, dotting her eyes like snowflakes on a cold winter’s day. A sob broke out but before another one could be heard a soft, gentle voice came from beside her.
“Alyssa, your tears cannot drown your sorrows” The voice said melodiously “Only your time”
Alyssa turned to face her bookshelf where her basket of baby toys was placed, inside lay a tiny china doll with blonde strings of hair and full pink lips. Alyssa was old enough to understand right and wrong and according to science this was wrong. It was physically impossible. And yet there she was, her mouth moving easily, stretching her pale skin.
“You’re talking” Alyssa’s eyes opened wide with shock.
“Indeed” The doll laughed lightly “It seems I am. But surely we can postpone my enquiries until this session is complete”
“Session?”
“Of course dear” The young doll spoke like an old woman, pronouncing every word with precision “My name is Margareta and I am here to cheer you up”
Alyssa nodded, the sensible part of her mind shutting down as she grinned “Then let’s get started”
The next few hours were the greatest in Alyssa’s life. She talked, laughed and played with Margareta like she was a young child without a care in the world and it was good.
By the end of the day Alyssa was exhausted, she climbed into bed, gave Margareta a gentle kiss on the forehead and drifted off to sleep.
The next morning, when her mother woke her up for breakfast, Margareta was back in her place in the basket beside her other teddy bears and dolls, which left Alyssa wondering whether it was all really just a dream.
But even if it was, even if she had imagined Margareta’s appearance, that was okay too. Margareta had taught her something, and now Alyssa was free to love like she’s never been hurt and live like there’s no tomorrow.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!