Late Night

I round the corner: arms pumping, and legs working overtime. I feel like I have no legs-that I'm floating, speeding above the ground. I feel no pain. My mum always said I was born to be a runner, but I don't think she meant running like this.

I glide down the street effortlessly. I run in the middle of the road because i know that no cars will come at this time of night. When i left, it was 1:30am. I left my office late because i had so many papers to read, to edit.Now I wish I'd brought those papers home, like I thought of earlier.I'm so stupid!

Being so caught up in my thoughts, I don't notice the lone vehicle hurtling towards me. Adrenalaine is pumping through my veins, my reaction time fast, as i leap left with a small yelp. The cars rapidly slows as it drives past me, and i notice the driver: drunk. No wonder he didn't see me! He winks at me as i continue my run. What a ridiculous man.

I slow to a brisk walk. My pursuers were twice my height, and larger than I am, so I doubt they'll catch me any time soon. In my frenzy, I ran without really knowing where I was going, so now that I am walking, I observe my surroundings. I almost scream in frustration: I am staring at the back of my work building. Why am I making so many mistakes tonight?

Angry, I look for my car in the parking lot. You'd think I'd be able to find it immediately because its a lemon yellow. I laugh quietly to myself. To a stranger, I must seem hysterical.

Finally, after what seems like a decade, I see my little yellow car, parked beneath a large, flowering plum. I could've sworn I parked it elsewhere, but that was over six hours ago, so I assujme thats where I left it.

Forgetting where I am and what I have just experienced, I stroll towards my car, surrounded in a glow of street lamps. My keys are in my pocket,where I left them. I feel a giddy relief sweep over me. My pursuers must've lost me, or given up. Lucky me.

I click my keys and see the cars lights respond obediently. Opening the door, I smile. Never work late, I tell myself, and avoid all these problems. If only it were that easy.

I drop myself into its leather interior, and put the keys into the ingnition. I twist. No noise. In confusion, I twist another three times. Still no noise. I turn to open my door, but I hear a 'click' that tells me the doors are locked. Beginning to panic, I press my keys, but teh door will not budge.

My heart beat is racing as I look around my car, only to discover the large silhouette of one of my attackers in the back.

Now I panic. I scream at the top of my lungs and I beginn to thrash my arms wildly. The mans fist stretches out and connects with my skull, with a force I never knew was possible. As stars swim before my eyes, I curse myself for being so stupid, for working so late.

Just before a I black out, I catch a glimpse of my pursuers face: He looks drunk. He smiles a false smile and winks at me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!