A Day Pig Hunting

One steamy hot day, when I went out pig hunting with Mum and Dad we saw a mob of wild brumbies galloping across the bumpy road in front of us. Then as we were coming up to the dam, through the thick scrubby trees I spotted a giant mob of feral pigs. When we jumped out of the car to chase after the pigs they just stood there, then the dogs jumped out of the four wheel drive ute and scattered them into two mobs. One mob headed to the North and the other headed west with the dogs in hot pursuit. With the dogs hot on their trail we scooted flat after them to see whether they had caught a pig. As we arrived at the scene the dogs had hold of a giant tusky boar, next minute the mob of 40 feral swine ganged up on the dogs, grunting loudly to warn them off. But the dogs didn't let go they kept on holding on tight. My Dad ran into the mob of pigs and made lots of noise scattering the pigs in all directions, some went left some went right they were darting every where. Dad then flew in and grabbed the giant tusky boar and tipped him on his side to relieve the dogs.
The rest of the pigs were now running for cover into the near by scrub. Dad yelled out to Mum, “grab the dogs and run them on”, so she whistled to the dogs, and they ran through the thick scrub and caught a bluey black soar. This was the most unusual coloured pig I had ever seen.After getting the dogs off of the soar we thought it was best to get the dogs back to the near by swamp for a well deserved swim and drink after their marathon run with this awesome mob of swine. As we walked quickly back to our utility we spotted a huge black and white boar wallowing in the water hole."Gee check him out dad,he looks like he's got a good set of hooks on him" I whispered. As the dogs went in to catch the monster, another large boar came running furiously towards the water with the dogs in his sights. He lined them up, mowing down everything in his path. Mean while the dogs were exhaused and panting hard after catching up with their last beasts.When he confronted the dogs they locked a hold of him for dear life, this pig wasn't going anywhere, the dogs didn't even think twice about this big fella, and the battle was over before it began another good boar up for the dogs. Next minute the monster boar jumped up out of the water chomping his jaws making a racket as he tore towards us, crashing down thick, thick wattle."Look out" I yelled, he's coming right at us, run get to the nearest tree. We had to jump up the nearest tree to take refuge from this monster as he seemed very annoyed with the whole situation.As he flew past we were relived that he had disappeared into the distance.
We went back to the ute exhausted from our ordeals with the giant mob of pigs.The dogs could now rest up and just kick back and think back to a great day of catching pigs.As we rattled down the dusty bumpy track home we laughed and joked about the most exciting day we had ever had.We arrived home and I raced in and told Grandma and Pa about one of the most memorible days I've ever had.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!