Race Day

Henry couldn’t believe it! He was actually going to the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix in Melbourne. Henry’s favourite driver is Will Heyman, and if Will wins it will be his 100th victory. Will is a member of Team Flares. Team Flares’ arch nemesis, Team Wicked, is going to go all out to beat him. 'I really want Will to win,' thought Henry. His Dad interrupted his thoughts "We are almost there son, and the race will start in about an hour so we had better hurry." “Dad,” said Henry, “Do you think Will is going to win? Team Wicked’s line-up looks pretty tough. They’ve got Michael Malosh, Liam Sanks and Matthew Willkie." "Yeah, but remember Flares have Mason Genin, Noah Bennet, Ben Whitten and Charlie Henrichs, as well as your favourite Will Heyman,” replied his dad. “Dad is that the stadium there? Is that Albert Park?" "Yes, it is Henry. Fabulous sight isn’t it?" 'I can’t wait to see Team Flares race today,' thought Henry. But as they were walking through the turnstiles they could hear a man in the distance yelling. "What do you mean the engines aren’t working?" Henry recognised that voice. It sounded like Team Wicked’s coach, Owen Thorne. It also sounded like he wasn’t happy. "Sorry sir I guess I won’t be able to race then," answered Team Wicked’s best driver, Matthew Willkie. "Don’t worry we have a spare car." "Phew, for a moment then I thought I was a goner,” said Matthew. "Dad did you hear that?” "Yes I did. Too bad they have a spare car. Let’s go find our seats." Soon they had sat down and all the cars were now on the track VROOOOM VROOOOM went the cars. The lights went red...orange...green and they were off. Matthew Willkie quickly raced to the front of the pack. Will Heyman followed him at a rapid pace, closely trailed by Liam Sanks and Charlie Henriches battling it out for third spot. It looked like Charlie was in front. Though the big battle seemed to be between Will Heyman and Matthew Willkie, it looked like Matthew was in the lead. "Go!" "Go!" "Go!" shouted the crowd, including Henry. "Who’s in front Dad? I can’t see." "I think Matthew Willkie is in front but only just, it is so close I can’t really tell,” replied his dad.
PEEEEOOOOWWWW roared the cars as they passed Henry and his dad."Henry this is the last lap,” said his dad. “Matthew Willkie is still in front.” The crowd hushed so they could hear the finish and then someone yelled out, "Hey, Will Heyman is in the lead, he is going to win.” The crowd roared with excitement. "Hooray," screamed Henry. “He won." Will hopped out of the car and jumped and cheered with excitement. Will was awarded with his trophy. Henry said to his dad, “That was the best day ever.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!