The Flame Horse

As I galloped across the open field I moved my body in rhythm with my gorgeous black Arabian Willow. She listened to the lightest tug of my reins as I slowed her into a canter then a trot then a walk. I kicked my feet out of the stirrups as I took in the beauty of the trail. Willow flicked her ears back and forth as she admired the new sights and scents that the forest holds. I started looking for a good spot to sit down and eat the lunch mum packed for me. I finally spotted a large gum tree for me to tie up Willow and eat. I dismounted and tied up Willow. After Willow was happily grazing I set up picnic blanket and dug into a peanut butter and jam sandwich. I slowly took the last bite of my lamington and decided to head home. As I packed up my stuff I started to smell something it smelt like smoke I knew what that meant I quickly dropped my things and jumped on Willow I kicked her and she burst out in a fast gallop. The closer we got to home more smoke I smelt as we approached a flaming bush I tried to avoid it but it was to close but leg caught on fire and Willow started to bolt. I couldn’t hold on the pain was too great luckily the fall put out the fire but my leg was badly burnt and it felt like my arm was broken. Helpless and lost I called for help but it was no use I laid there waiting for death to hit me. When I thought all hope was lost Willow burst through the flames with my mother on her back. That’s all I remember before I blacked out I woke up in the hospital with a cast around my arm and bandages covering my leg. I looked at my mum who was sitting on the chair next to me I smiled at her and she smiled back. She told me everything from beginning to end she said Willow came back to the farm without me and mum jumped on and Willow guided her to me. I felt like I owe Willow and I will never stop owing her she saved my life and I will never forget that.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!