Yesterday

Right here, right now. I’m dog tired, muddy and very dirty. Yet, I feel fantastic. Oh, right, um how rude of me. (I’m imitating my mum). My name’s Jason. Just Jason. Well, I do have a last name, but well, long story.
Will, John, Charlie, Steven, Peter, Michael, Ryan, Brett, Anthony, basically the whole rest of the ream come up. I am lifted up onto their shoulders, they shout the victory song, and shout my name until the whole stadium rings with the echo of so many people shouting and singing in unison. The cup, the cup I had dreamed about winning for………..ages, is finally ours. I can’t help but grin. It’s instinct.
When I wake up this morning, the house is quiet, too quiet. I get up out of bed and wander into the living room where I see a yellow post it note stuck on the fridge. As I turn the corner into the kitchen, I hear a loud chorus of, “Happy 17th Jason!” It’s my birthday today? Oh, I forgot. My dad rubs my head and makes a face.
“Uh” he says disgustedly
“You didn’t have a shower did you?”
Oops, busted. Yesterday’s mud is still in my hair spiking it up.
At about midday, I go outside. It's too cramped and stuffy inside. I’m 17. Seventeen. I got my driver’s license yesterday, or was it the day before? Anyway doesn’t matter. Yesterday was special; so special. Ever dream a dream that you know will never come true, but you keep on dreaming it just for the heck of it? Yeah well, that’s me.
I see my grandmother heading over to my house on the opposite side of the road. I avoid her. Whenever she sees me, honestly, you don’t want to know. Greeks are so……emotional. Especially grandmothers, and especially on birthdays.
“Jason”
I spin round and see Ryan standing there
“May I?”
“Oh mate” I say playfully
“Whatever anyway……you slammed ‘em yesterday”
“Yeah I did didn’t I?”
“Duh, that my friend is why you got man of the match”
“Oh yeah”
He rolls his eyes exaggeratedly, and I laugh and punch him softly on the arm. We part at his place, and I keep on walking. Just walking. I see the guys up ahead I jog up and we walk to the field laughing and having fun.
Yep, yesterday, the day we won the cup.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!