Raging Waters

From her back veranda, Grace looked worryingly at the menacing, dark clouds.
“It looks like we’re in for a big storm!” she shouted at her older brother Jaden, who was just coming out of the barn. He nodded in response and started cleaning up for the day. Grace sighed and went into the house to find Alisha, her younger sister.
“Alisha! Where are you?” she cried. No answer. Her heart racing, Grace frantically checked through the house, under every bed, behind every door. But there was no sign of Alisha. Jaden walked through the door and saw Grace’s worried look.
“What’s wrong?” he asked.
“I can’t find Grace anywhere!” she cried. Just then, the first big raindrops hit the small farmyard. Jaden quickly rushed outside.
“She’s probably in the barn!” he shouted over his shoulder. Grace tried to remember where she’d last seen Alisha. The river! Grace had sent Alisha down to the river to play and she hadn’t come back! Grace glanced toward the barn but quickly decided she couldn’t wait for Jaden. She ran outside and raced across the field toward the river. The rain was coming in sheets now, drenching her to the very bone. Grace wished she had remembered to take a coat. Stumbling, wet and dirty she kept going. Her jeans were sticking to her, making it hard to run. The rain just kept coming. Soon Grace couldn’t see a metre in front. Her mind filled with thoughts of Alisha falling into the river or getting lost. She prayed that her sister was safe. Her shoes were heavy with water and her hair was whipping around her face. Eyes half closed to keep out the stinging rain, she failed to see the log till it was too late.
“Aahh!” she screamed in pain. She was dismayed to find out her ankle was badly sprained. She hobbled along and soon the river became clear in the distance.
Crack!! Lightening lit up the sky and thunder boomed like a giant. Grace jumped. She was definitely jittery. The river stretched in front of her, it’s normally gentle waters changed into a raging torrent.
“Grace!!" she screamed. Tears stung her face as she searched up and down the river, stumbling on her bad foot.
“Help me!” cried a soft voice near Grace. She spun around and saw Alisha in the river, hanging onto a tree branch for dear life. Grace gasped and headed toward her.
“Alisha! Grab hold of my arm, I’ll get you out!” she shouted above the thunder. Alisha reached out, and Grace grabbed hold of her and pulled her onto the bank where they lay sprawled. She held the shivering child and spoke soothing words to her for a long time. The rain was starting to stop, the thunder was getting more distant and then, as if on cue, a rainbow showed its brilliant colours through the clouds. They were both a mess; wet, dirty, and hurt, yet happy to be safe together.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!