Laura And Daisy

We jump over another fallen tree and Daisy stops abruptly, ears pricked, eyes wide and alert. She starts rearing and whinnying. She’s sensed danger, and I sense it too. I get a shiver down my spine. I try to control Daisy, but she’s even more frightened, and I get thrown off. I hit the ground with a hard thump. Pain shoots through my shoulder down to my arm. I let out a cry. Daisy then gallops off terrified, leaving me lying on the ground. I hear Daisy’s heavy hoof beats fading, and her neighing softens. I sense someone watching me. Another shiver goes down my back. I sit up, look around, and see nothing.
Suddenly, I hear a rustle in the scrub next to me. I see a dark figure disappear into the bush out of the corner of my eye. I freeze. I’m scared stiff. Getting up slowly now, I hold my left arm securely with my right, and as I stand, I hear another rustle. I freeze. I look around. No one’s there. I’m crying. I’m scared. Frightened. Anxious. Crunch! A stick snaps on the ground behind me. I hear footsteps coming towards me.
I turn around carefully, and towering over me is the tallest, scrubbiest man I’ve ever seen. His small eyes are staring coldly at mine, and he’s breathing heavily, in and out. I am shaking in my boots. I take a small step backwards, and catch a glimpse of a knife in his hand. He lunges towards me and I take another step back, and make a run for it. My arm is throbbing with pain, but I keep running. I can hear the man’s footsteps quicken, and him breathing deeply behind me. I’m starting to slow down, my chest aches and feels like it going to cave in. I’m sweating profusely, and I start screaming, hoping someone will hear me.
I feel like I can’t run any further. My legs are like jelly. The man is closer, and right behind me. I try to jump a fallen tree and land with a whack on the ground. The man is now standing over me with the knife, poised to attack. I’m exhausted. I’m dead,
Bang! I wake up. I’m relieved it was just a dream. Wait, what was that noise? I look around the room. I can’t see anything, it’s too dark. I struggle to turn my light on. I feel a cold breeze brush over me, just like in my dream. I take another glance around my room. Then I notice my window is open and curtains are drifting away slowly in the wind. I never leave my window open, I must’ve forgotten. Something catches my eye. I look at the ground, and there are massive footprints everywhere. I’m petrified now. I lift the doona up to my chin and hide. I scream for dad. No answer. I scream for mum. No answer. I scream for Jake…”You’re next, Laura,” a deep, husky voice replies.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!