Naughts And Crosses

When I was 8 years-old, my brother Josh, and I were out jumping and playing on our trampoline, when my brother and I came up with a cool, but crazy idea. I’m not sure how we thought of it, as it was absolutely stupid, but I guess the idea excited us, so off I went. I got my fingernails and started carving a naughts and crosses board into Josh’s forehead. I guess the thought of having a game board to play on in somebody’s skin, drove my hands motion.

When I was finally finished I made him stand up so I could admire my marvellous work, so up he got. Easily seen on his forehead was a bright red (it was bleeding) naughts and crosses board. “How does it look?” Josh had asked me. Honestly, it looked completely ridiculous – like one of those stamps cows get to show there number, except on a human and of a game board, but I responded differently of course. Then my brilliant brother came up with another idea. “Why don’t we play it?” Of course this was a completely sensible question, but we had a twist on it. We were going to play it by carving it into his skin.

So off I went again, first asking him where he wanted to go, then carefully digging my fingernails in to form a circle or a cross. We got about one move each in, when we suddenly called in for dinner. That was when I realised what I had done! What would my parents think of this?!?! I didn’t know.

So we jumped off the trampoline and marched up the stairs confidently. We walked inside and straight away, “What is that?!?!” my Dad exclaimed, but without waiting for an answer, he jumped up in all his excitement and what a surprise it was. The next thing we know he’s searching for a red pen! He didn’t find a red pen, but instead shouts, “I have a blue pen! Not a red pen, but it will be ok.” At this moment we had no idea what he was talking about, so we were just staring at him as he ran around in a mad frenzy. Then he picks up his blue pen, moves towards my brother and starts drawing in the rest of the game. My brother and I were completely baffled, but the next thing he said was even worse! “Go wash it off now.” Now it was my turn to talk. “Dad, that’s not red pen.” “Well what is it then?” he asked. My heart was racing. I was terrified as to what his reaction might be. “It’s, um. Well that’s not pen, its blood, I drew it with my fingernails.”

I don’t remember getting in trouble, but I do remember how surprised and angry my Dad was. My family and I talked about it for weeks and after a bit we eventually talked and laughed about it. It was very hilarious.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!