The 1,00 Dollar Dare

The 1,000 Dollar Dare
By Calder Barksdale

As I took another step forward, it happened. I slipped. I could feel the ancient wooden beam, swollen with yesterday’s rain, slid out from under my feet. Desperately, I threw out my arms, trying to get hold of it again. Luckily, I did. As I pulled myself onto the log, farther away from the deep, dark abyss below, I questioned myself Oh, why did I take that dare?
It all started when my mom made me go on a camping trip with Gregory Malay, a snobby, wealthy person at school. My parents and his get along, but Gregory I and are worst enemies. “You’ll love it out in the outback,” my mom responded when I begged her not to make me go on the trip. One day later, I was in the outback.
As the molten gold sphere of light sank into the horizon, Gregory challenged cunningly “I have a dare for you.” Now, one thing I love is a good dare, especially when money is involved. And it was, too. “One thousand dollars,” I breathed. “What is the dare?” “You’ll see.” He answered.
Twelve minutes later, I was on the beam, scanning the gorge below. I could see giant, black, wet rocks down in the shadows below. I sucked in a breath of air, and bean the frightening amble across the beam.
As I began to close in on the midpoint of the bridge, I heard a nasty, groaning sound coming from the beam. The beam was falling apart! I began to scamper quickly, like a kitten over the log, hoping to reach the other side quicker. Suddenly, I heard a loud crack! I whipped my head around thinking the log had snapped. However it was just cowardly Gregory, watching from the sidelines.
Finally, I saw it! There, just eight or nine feet away, lay the other side of the gorge! Then I heard it. The ancient, weather worn beam had snapped. I began to quicken my pace as I bolted across the beam. I felt the beam begin to tilt downward, into the abyss. I screamed, took one more step forward, and leaped.
I felt my calloused, splinter-filled hand come in contact with the hard, cold edge. Quickly, not looking back, I pulled myself up onto the ground. I glared at Gregory. “I could have died.” I complained. “And, you owe me $1,000.” I stared furiously at Gregory as he, fuming, gave me the money. Then, he turned, and slinked back to the campsite.
I turned and took one last glimpse at the gorge were the shattered log, that could have also been covered with my blood. I shuddered, turned around, and walked back towards camp.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!