Night

Night
Ella had hated the night. No matter how magnificent it was said to be or how bright it was she had hated it. It was too quiet and when she couldn't hear her mother's faint breathing she was plunged into fear. She was told that her grandfather passed away peacefully at night. It felt like the night would snatch away her mother too. Ella had to stay with her father because her mother couldn't provide for her anymore. Her parents were divorced and while her father lived comfortably her mother struggled.
The first time she met her step-mother and half-sibling Ella had hid behind the curtain of brunette hair she possessed and mumbled meaningless pleasantries she was taught by her mother. Being told that she was assigned to a room next to her half-sister she had become nervous. Her sister wasn’t spiteful or cruel but she didn't attempt to be overly social with her. Six years of age difference might have something to do with this but she highly doubted it. Ella was ten and Alyssa was sixteen.
Alyssa just didn't seem like an overly extroverted person. Faye, her step-mother had tried hard to make sure that Ella fit in without any complications. Dinner that night had been awkward with most of the conversation revolving around her. When it was time for bed Ella had stared at the ceiling she could barely see and opened the curtains allowing the slightest bit of moonlight to filter in.
Striving to sleep had proved to be a fruitless endeavour and eventually she had rolled out of bed and headed for the door. Pressing her ear against it she had heard nothing except the occasional thud and groan. Ella hadn't been sure what she was doing but her feet had led her to the door that blocked the way to the apartment lobby. She freezed when a slightly amused voice said
“You do know the door is locked right?”
She had swiveled around and had seen the slim figure of a blonde haired girl with mischievous green eyes.
Ella’s face had turned tomato red as she faced Alyssa.
“Can’t sleep? Don’t worry I won’t tell”
She had led her into the kitchen and reached for a mug. Alyssa had prepared hot chocolate and poured some into two mugs. She had leapt onto a chair by the white counter and gestured for Ella to do the same. Alyssa had handed her a mug and stared outside the window into the muddle of bright city lights and buildings. She had pointed out sights from shops to glowing neon coloured signs. Eventually Ella had yawned after downing her mug of hot chocolate.
Alyssa had said
“I guess it’s time for bed?”
and Ella lazily replied
“Yeah”
When she had finally slept into sleep her last thought was that maybe the night wasn’t all that horrible.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!