Odd Girl Out

I'm walking glumly into my classroom as I always do on a Monday morning, no one waves to me or smiles as I walk by. That's right I'm the Nigel no friends of the class, the outcast. My chestnut hair is scrunched into a messy ponytail and my white blouse is crushed as I take my seat at the back. I see my teacher frown and mouth uniform warning. I am Elouise Annetta Jaqueline Jones and I literally am the most unpopular girl in my whole entire school!

Mrs Andrews is pacing across the front of the classroom waiting for us to arrive. People say that Mrs Andrews is the toughest teacher at the school and I got her, talk about unlucky. I'm hearing the annoying tap, tap, tapping of high heels and the reality hits me, Tina stuck up Brazil has arrived!

"Sorry I'm late Mrs Andrews," Tina cooed as she strutted into the classroom. Girls crane their necks trying to get a glimpse of Tina. You'd think she was Kate Middleton or something!
"Girls I have an exciting announcement, we're doing a group project!" Mrs Andrews exclaims, trying to sound excited. I stare at my desk while girls begin excited chatter.

"Do we all have a partner?" Mrs Andrews asks, her voice full of inpatience. I glance around and realise in horror I don't have a partner and neither does Tina! I was about to get up when..
"Ah, Mrs Andrews I was just going to say that the reason I don't have a partner is because I'm going to work by myself. You encourage independent work and I am going to conquer," Tina said eagerly. I gulped down my disappointment as Tina sneered at me.
"Well, unless Tina decides to take on a partner from another group I'm afraid you're on your own," Mrs Andrews said as if she were talking to a child not a thirteen year old girl! I walk out with the rest of the class as the bell rings, hurt flowing through my whole body.

I walk down the hallway but stop when I hear crying. Lilly is sitting on the floor head in hands sobbing.
"What's wrong Lilly?" I ask.
"Rachael has convinced Tina to be her partner and now I'm on my own. She acts as if being with Tina is way better than her own best friend," Lilly cried.
"You could be my partner," I whispered nervously.
"You'd really let a girl who is always horrible to you be your partner?" Lilly questioned suspiciously. I smiled and Lilly took it as a yes. I could not believe my luck, a partner for a group assessment for the first time in my life!

We walk down the hall together towards the dining room, Lilly jabbering on about great ideas for the project. At this moment nothing seems to matter, I may not have a friend but I feel like the luckiest girl in the whole world, make that the universe.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!