The Flood

The day had begun like any other. It was a bright summer’s morning I was wishing it would rain because it was so hot. Grabbing my clothes slipping them on all with joy I was so excited to go to the shops with my mum! I jump in the car clap, clap, clap I clap my hands “What’s wrong with you today?” my mother asks “I’m so excited” I said cheerfully.

Creak! “You really need the brakes fixed” I laughed. BANG! I close the door. BOOM! The thunder struck, lightening hit, I ran up to the shops, it started raining. We went to Big W, Target and Kmart. We went pretty much everywhere. When we got to Woolworths and my legs were sore and I was tied, I also had a headache.

“Can I go back to the car?” I whined to my mother
"Sure" replied my mother.
I went outside to see puddles everywhere!
"NO!" I said “It’s flooding!” I grabbed the chair and sat up on the roof of the fairy floss shop.

Sitting on the fairy floss shop watching the water rise, mum’s car going underwater why does it have to flood? I thought to myself. Being scared as can be, wondering if the water is going to reach the top of the shop I began to cry. There is no-one around, I wonder if they have all been washed away!

I’m scared what do I do? I scream for help but no one replied.
“Help is there anyone out there? “I shouted again “Hello!” I shout again
“Hello!” a voice shouts back, a man comes down in a boat.
“Jim!” I shout, Jim is my neighbour.
“Here grab this.” Jim said
I grabbed the rope and I jumped into the boat; I put a life jacket on.

Rowing down to the education centre to go and get my mum, I cried quietly to myself. As we were rowing and the water started going down. Jim said “By the time we get to the education centre the water should be down enough for everyone to walk home.”

We stopped about 10 metres away from the education centre. If we went any further the boat would have scraped along the concrete. We hopped out of the boat. “Thanks so much Jim.” I said, as I hugged him.

I went to get my mother, I found her and then we walked home to a nice warm house.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!