Haunted House

Haunted House
“I’m bored” whined Craig as he gazed out the window.
The three boys were crowded into the small bedroom.
James was lying on his bed staring at the roof, while Mark spat spit balls at the picture of the Hulk on the wall. Craig spun around; “I know” he shouted excitedly, “let’s play truth or dare. I’ll go first.”
Mark stopped spitting “Okay, truth or dare?”
“Dare!” Craig answered, Mark turned towards the window and smirked “Knock and run on old Dexter’s front door.”
Craig’s face went white as a sheet. He peered out the window at the haunted house in the distance.
“You’re not scared are you?” Mark knew that Craig was terrified of the neighbour’s house. The old building towered menacingly at the end of the street. All the boys had had run in’s with old Dexter, who owned the house. He was a wicked nasty piece of work who took any toys that went on to his property, he had regular bon fires and burnt those toys making all the children in the neighbourhood see what he was doing. He had a huge keep out sign and that’s exactly what everyone did. Even the postman avoided that house. There were many stories of children disappearing into the old house never to be seen again.
“No, I’m not scared” Craig answered nervously,” Let’s go”
So the three boys set out to the old haunted house.
Mark and James hid behind the bushes where they had a perfect view of Dexter’s front door.
Craig was going up the stairs step by step. Craig gulped, his heart beating in fear as he got to the front door.
His hand extended out to the old wooden brown door, his hand shaking like madness when...
The dog next door started barking, Craig jumped in horror. He turned around as quick as he could, he ran down the stairs and tripped over his undone shoe lace, he fell to the ground in a thump, he was sending help gestures to his friends over in the bush. Mark was thinking of what he was going to say to Craig’s mother, while James was in a captivating stare, his eyes fixed on his injured friend that was in pain. Mark said to James “come on we have to go and help our injured friend” James was absolutely terrified to go anywhere near the haunted house but he had to in order to save his friend. So they quickly ran over picked Craig up Mark holding under Craig’s arms and James holding Craig’s feet. They rapidly took Craig to the bushes when suddenly, a taxi pulled up out the front of old Dexter’s haunted house. Craig, Mark and James staring at the taxi intently wondering who would be gain enough to pull out the front of old Mr. Dexter’s haunted house.
The taxi door opened very slowly Mark, James and Craig’s eyes were still in a captivating stare.
Then finally it opened and out came...
Old Mr Dexter.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!