Lesley

“Lesley! Here!” called Daniel. I stopped. Lesley? I hadn’t heard that name before. Suddenly the boys all went strangely quiet and Daniel was looking a bit embarrassed. I hurried on, but as I turned back, I saw Leon staring at me suspiciously.
We were walking towards the shaded area when suddenly Phoebe’s bag ripped apart. Ryan came over to help and as he handed Phoebe her book he smiled. Madison (my other best friend) rolled her eyes; boys were always falling for Phoebe. When he left Phoebe collapsed on us and I don’t think it was because of the heat. Laughing we walked back to class.
That night I lay in bed for a while when suddenly my mind zoomed back to that morning. The more I thought about it the more options came. But then my came back to the simple version: they were calling one of the boys Lesley because of something they did, but…….then my mind went blank I was asleep.
It was a bright Saturday morning and I couldn’t think what was weighing my happiness down. Then it clicked: Lesley. In all the books I had read a hero/heroine had solved some sort of mystery. Maybe this wasn’t much but I had a hunch it wasn’t normal. The way Leon had stared at me; I had shudders thinking about it.
“Should I wear this or this?” asked Phoebe. Turns out earlier on Ryan had asked her out. I wasn’t surprised really, but I was starting to get bored we had been doing this for the past half hour and to be honest with you Phoebe look good in everything. Madison seemed to have read my mind and said “Phoebes you look good in everything”.
That night I went to sleep peacefully. I felt so contented with the day. Phoebe had contacted me and rambled on about how cute and sweet Ryan was and suddenly remembered she had to call Madison I felt relieved but also kind of sorry for her, and tomorrow it was the school fete! I couldn’t wait.
I walked to school alone that day, but just as I reached the gates I saw something unusual. A ball bouncing by itself in the same spot like it was being controlled by an invisible person. Dylan caught my gaze and before I knew it I was being pinned to a tree. “What did you see,” he said in a threatening voice. I spilled out every detail I knew and then he released me. He told me how the boys had an invisible friend called Lesley and how he was a secret.
Nowadays everything is better. My job is to keep the girls away from the boys. Lesley is quite a nice guy and we talk a lot. I am sure you’ll hear a lot more from him soon but for now.
MARIA OUT!
By Natasha Tian

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!