New Beginnings

“Please calm down Ali, it is going to be okay,” said Ali’s mum. “Good morning Mrs Valla,” said the Principal. “Hi Ali, I am Principal Morgan.” “Hi Principal Morgan,” said Ali shyly.
“I shall leave you to fill out the papers, and I will take Ali to class,” said the Principal. “Thankyou Mr.Morgan” Mrs Valla replied.
“So Ali,” said Principal Morgan, “where do you come from?” Ali explained about England, her home country. “What do you want to be when you grow up, Ali?” “I want to be a professional dancer Mr Morgan,” replied Ali as they walked down the hall to her new classroom.
The Principal turned into the nearest classroom on her right. He announced, “Attention class, we have a new student, Ali Valla. She is new to the school, please make her feel welcome. “Then he left Ali with her new teacher, and she stood staring at the other children, feeling very alone. Ali sat down on the nearest desk, next to a bright- eyed little girl and they were soon chattering away like old friends.
When lunch bell went, it left Ali feeling very small, and lost in amongst a jumble of kids. As Ali walked out the door, she then overheard some of the kids saying they thought she looked like a stuck-up goody-two shoes! This made Ali feel sad. The rest of Ali’s first day didn’t get any better; it was hard to adjust to a new school.
When Ali’s Mum saw her daughter arrive home, she was horrified to see the tears rolling down her eyes! Then she said “Ali, are you okay?” Ali solemnly nodded her head and went out to get the post. When she came back in she said, “Mum, mum, guess what?” “What sweetie?” replied Mum, as her daughter handed her the letter. Mum read it through thoroughly, then exclaimed, “Oh congratulations sweetie! Let’s go show your stepfather.” As they were walking down the hallway, Ali felt a hefty lump form in her throat. Ali’s step father did not approve of her dancing, as he wanted her to be a lawyer instead. As Ali walked into her stepfather’s study, her stomach tightened as she listened to her stepfather recite the letter, then a sudden scowl come over this face. Her mother, seeing her husband’s scowl then said abruptly, “Ali, you’re stepfather and I will talk about this.”
Ali patiently waited outside, listening to the distant bickering of her parents. She sighed and then thought about her letter. It distinctly said “Dear Ali Valla, you have been accepted into the most prestigious dance school in the world. Please return this form and your application notice to The Australian Ballet. Yours Sincerely, Raquel Winsoul.” “Wow,” thought Ali. “Me, really?” My stepfather would never let me go. Then Ali’s Mum came out and said, “Ali, your stepfather and I have agreed to let you go.” “Thanks so much,” said Ali excitedly, this more than made up for the awful first day at school.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!