Watching

I love where I am and who I’m with but I can’t help but be curious. Who are my biological parents? Are they alive? Will I ever meet them? Have I already met them? Do I want to meet them? Do they want to meet me? Thoughts explode in my head as my mother walks in my room. I stop thinking. She greets with a smile that reaches up to her ears. She has gotten so much happier ever since I stopped calling her by her first name, Martha. I smile back. Then I position my head to the right as I glance at my alarm clock. Its only six – fifty, I woke up early. My mother comes and sits beside me on my bed. We have a brief conversation about how we will spend this beautiful Saturday. I agree then pause. “Sarah is everything okay?” my mother asks in a worried voice. “Long story, short.” I reply. I start to tell her what I've been hiding, explaining how I think I am being watched. Like a forgetful person I am, I have left my lunch box at school for the past two weeks and the next day when I retrieve it, it’s always as shiny diamond. Not just that, I always find an apple in there as well. My mother turns away and hesitates before speaking. She doesn't get angry but she isn't over the moon as well. She then suggests that we try and catch the person who is closely observing me. I agree, we both rush to get ready. Soon after we jump in the car and traveled at the speed of light, not exceeding speed limit of course. We reach my school. Running to the foyer I spot a lady walking with a familiar container in her bag, it was my lunch box. I scream as loud as a fog horn “STOP!” she turns and stop immediately. “Martha?” she says. “Karen?” my mother replies as they run to hug like it was a fairy-tale. It seems the know each other. My mother pulls me in the huddle and slowly explains to me how this is my biological mother. I was speechless; all I felt were tears streaming down my face. It was unexpected. I hug Karen and we all walk to her place for a cup of coffee.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!