Hawnted

“I knew my secret would be discovered. I just didn’t think it would be now.” My name is Hawn. I have lived in this mansion for millions of years. I have seen cavemen going hunting, Egyptians burying Pharaohs, Romans fighting in the arena. It is soon to end. Because they are here. Hawn looked across the desolate room filled with cobwebs and dust. “This is my home. And I’m going to defend it.” The creak of the door opening can be heard. The humans. They’re coming.

Instantly the mansion is filled with the sound of laughter and music. “Those noisy humans, they think they can just break into a mansion and do whatever they like. Well, it’s time someone showed them that that’s not true.” Hawn floated down a rickety stairwell and glided through a torch-lit hallway. She entered a busy dining room. Humans were lounging around shouting and laughing and generally having fun. Hawn floated to one of the humans and shrank back ready to scare him.

“Whhhhooooo!!!”
“AAAaaaahhhh!!!”

The diner jumped up and his plate of ravioli fell off the table, onto the cat’s tail.

"Mmrrrrroooowww!!!”

The cat jumped up another diner’s shirt. He immediately waved his arms about, trying to dislodge the cat. Bang, Crash, Smash. Plates went flying everywhere. Soon it was a fully fledged food fight.

A young lady pointed at Hawn, “Why did you do that?” she asked. Hawn blinked in surprise. She could see Hawn.

“Wha? How can you see me?"
“Dear, I could see you since you entered the room. I’m not dumb you know.”
“OK, OK, you can take me and imprison me in a museum,” sniffed Hawn sadly.
“Dear, why in the world would I do that?”
Hawn looked at her. “So… So you’re not going to display me?”
“Dear, of course not.” She patted Hawn’s head “Your secret’s safe with me.” Hawn smiled. Maybe humans weren’t so bad after all.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!