Haylee And The Apple.

Vaneese was cold, dark, lost.
The streets dusty and grey, covered in rubbish. The building walls littered in graffiti. Nobody talked to each other. From the outside may seem even deserted and silent, but in one particular house (10 Black Street) Haylee Martcher-Kay had hope. She went to school at Lighter Ridge Primary- in a suburb close by. She was at school, eating and apple and she got to the core. Of course!
“Vaneese will be happy.” She cried. “Shh…” the librarian said.
After school she set to work. She took $30 from the family jar and ran off to the nursery where she bought a large partially-grown apple tree, and an arrangement of seeds including; corn carrots, beans, potatoes, lettuce, leeks and blueberries and a strawberry bush.
She decided to plant them in the town square for everyone to see. She put the apple tree in the middle and the seedlings and strawberry bush around it. It looked amazing and she could not wait to see it next spring.
The next day Haylee and the rest of her school painted painting of beaches and gardens and sunsets and trees over the graffiti. At the end everyone got to paint their own little picture. Some of themselves some of suns and there was even one of their dog. It was beautiful and a week to the unveiling of their newfound town.
The 8th of March was the Mayor Zschech’s birthday. Nobody usually celebrated but this year was different. Haylee had put little notice in everyone’s mail boxes telling people to meet at the town square for a special mystery event; ‘for the mayor/town’s birthday!’.
Everybody gathered even Great Great Great Uncle Bill who was nobody’s uncle but he was so old he knew everyone’s Grandparent’s. The mayor and Haylee unveiled the garden together and when the ginormous sheet. At first people frowned but then they smiled. They started chattering and some toddlers began a game of tiggy.
Haylee grinned. It would take a while, but Vaneese was beginning to get better.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!