Sarah's Swimming Carnival


“Oh, WOW!” said 10-year-old Sarah Howard as they passed a sign that said “Welcome to the Swimming Carnival!” Sarah was a swimmer and had entered herself in the very famous ‘Mossy stone Swimming Carnival’! She had been waiting a very long time for this! Sarah jumped out of the car after it had been parked and raced towards the booking in area.
“We’ll be cheering you on, Hon!” called her parents after her.
“Thanks!” she yelled back. Sarah booked herself in and then went into the girls changing room. She got dressed and then looked at the schedule she had been given. Sarah found when she was up for her races. 15 minutes later, the speaker announced that it was time for the races to start. Sarah sat at a bench for awhile. She was in the 4th race. Soon the announcer said that the 4th race was about to begin. Sarah went and lined up, ready to dive into the water and begin her breaststroke. Sarah’s heart was pounding hard.
“On your marks!” the announcer boomed. “Get set…….GO!”
Sarah froze! Her mind didn’t know what to do. Then Sarah realized, she had to dive in……..NOW! Sarah went into dive position and leapt of the platform. As she dived in, Sarah’s right ankle hit the concrete on the diving board. Sarah’s perfect dive turned into a disaster. Sarah got into a ball shape and landed in the water.
“OW!” was all she could think.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Does it hurt?” asked the instructor.
“YES!” cried Sarah.

Sarah had been helped out of the pool after she had hurt herself. Then she had been checked over by one of the instructor. Her ankle was grazed and sore from when it hit the concrete.

While the instructor was talking to her parents, Sarah slipped away.

Sarah went to one of the little pools and dipped her ankle into the water.

She cringed as her ankle stung. Sarah was hoping that if she got her foot used to the water, she might be able to swim.
In the distance, she saw the race that she was supposed to be in, lining up. Then Sarah made a decision. She would go in that race no matter what! Sarah started to make her way over. She was limping and as she got closer, people started watching her. Sarah lined up in the space that was free.
“Are you sure you want to do this?” asked one of the swimming instructors.
“Yes!” she replied.

Then the instructor called out “GO!”

Sarah leapt off the diving board, now forgetting about her ankle.

The swimmers had to do two laps. Soon Sarah was doing the second lap! Sarah had no idea what place she was coming in. She came to the end of the race and pulled herself out of the pool. The crowd was cheering! Sarah was given a trophy. Sarah looked at the writing on the trophy and a ribbon that said she had come 1st!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!