Barren

As we aimlessly wandered through the house, harmlessly bickering, almost as if an old couple, I realised the adoration I had for my daughter. The way we seemed to disagree on every matter, yet softly hug each other at the end of the day ensuring we always say the phrase ‘I love you’ signifies to me the strength of our bond.

Photo frame by photo frame swallow the house into a pit of memories. The smiles on our faces beaming, resemblant of true bliss. Our arms wrapped tightly around each other in each photo as we savour our precious moments together. Every day of our lives, as we frolic in parks and wander through streets, our bond grows stronger and stronger, building to the point of it being unbreakable, and our hands almost bound together, symbolically identifying our compassion for each other. She is my best friend, as I am hers, and as each day passes, it almost feels like my best friend is the same person as myself.

Everyday I break down into a river of tears, as the joy of having one to call my own, one to continue my legacy and one who can look up to me overwhelms me greatly, but that’s okay; I adore the feeling. As I tuck her into bed every night, softly laying a kiss upon her cheek, I reminisce over the day we spent together, and consider the roller-coaster we have both survived through and how it has enraged us, however made us more resilient as people.

How I adore the slight dimples on her face, and the way her smile glistens as she laughs over my jokes, which I know are not funny in the slightest. I love the silky flow of her hair and how it matches mine, I love her eyes, I love her mouth, I love everything about my daughter, and to me she is the definition of perfect.

She is always by my side, each step I take, we take together as I lead her into being the beautiful, mature, educated and sophisticated woman that I always pictured her to be. From her minute steps as a baby to her adult steps as an independent woman, I was right there by her side, and I would not have it any other way. I am so glad that I have someone to share my life with, and seeing her grow has been the greatest achievement of my life. Sometimes I feel guilty, that some people do not get to experience this magnificent feeling. These are the things I imagine having a daughter would be like; I suppose it’s a good thing then, that I cannot have children.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!