Knife

“Polly, hurry up, the ship’s leaving!”
“Right there daddy!”

Polly, Sylvia and Ray glanced at the gigantic resort ship decorated with streamers and welcoming screams filled their ears. They slowly walked towards their destination on the extension platform and looked at the deep blue sea in the distant. Polly gripped Ray’s hands tightly, and took a deep breath once taking a proud step onto the cruiser.

“Why don't you join us sweetie? We're having a nice game of cards here.”
“It’s okay Ms Ford, I'll talk to those ladies over there”
“Well, nice meeting you Ms James.”

Retired colonel George, Ms Philipp and Ms Huggins bunched together at a small antique round table and played a game of bridge. Ms Philip was taking the lead, whilst George had an uncomfortable seat amongst them.

“Hah! Would you look at that Ms Huggins! I've won!”
“That’s excellent darling, I think Phil and I will get some delicacies. You two can play.”
“But Ms Huggins, we only had one game!”
“ I'll play later. Nice meeting you! Ta da.”

Phil was Ms Huggins’ favourite puppy dog, and she treated him like her own son. The puppy had a small disapproval of leaving, but she stroked him into silence.

“Sylvia, would you take care of Polly for a while? She’s been bugging me ever since!”
“Fine. Polly, Polly, come here. That’s a good girl.”

Ray, Sylvia and Polly went straight into their compartment, and started preparing for the night. Ray was busily looking for their family photo book, but then decided to give up and explore the cruiser.

“Take care of Polly, I’m going to have a look.”
”Daddy, I wanna come!”
“No sweetheart, you stay with mummy here.”

Ray parted with Polly, and Sylvia tried to make Polly feel happier. Without any warning, Polly exited the room like a hawk, and entered the passenger’s hallway.

“What nice delicacies these cooks make! You want a cookie Phil! There you go. Now chew slowly.”

Ms Huggins started looking for her favourite muffins, but to no avail, decided to have some tea. She ushered a young man, without knowing it was Ray.

“Where is the tea young… Oh it’s Mr Hop! Nice to see you!”
“Well hello Ms Huggins. Fancy meeting you here.”

Polly looked everywhere on the ship for her dad; in passengers’ compartments, the dining hall, entertainment centre and starboard, but she couldn't locate him. Now, she couldn't even find her mother. Depressed and out of luck, she slowly settled herself in front of a room, and wept silently.

“Where is my mummy? Daddy?”

The door to the room slowly swung open with no hinge sounds, and Polly fell into the room silently. She had a bit of recovery, so she crept like a mouse, surveying her surroundings. In front of her, a man lifted a knife and stabbed a strangely dressed person on the bed. Polly screamed, destroying the silence, but the murderer captured her, and let the knife carefully through her heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!