My Cancer Journey

Finalist in the 'Written in the Stars 2013' competition

Chapter One: I AM SICK
Hi, my name is Charlie.
When I was two, I had cancer.
My parents found a lump in my tummy.
They took me to the doctor. He did an ultrasound.
He said my lump was a Wilms tumour.
My kidney had cancer.

Chapter Two: TAKING MY KIDNEY OUT - ‘WE WERE VERY SCARED’
Luckily the doctor could do a lot of tests.
They decided to operate and remove my right kidney.
After that I would need chemotherapy.
After they took my kidney out I got a big scar.
I call it my shark bite. A few days later I started Chemotherapy.

Chapter Three: EVERY WEDNESDAY I HAD TO GO TO THE ROYAL BRISBANE CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL
When we got to the hospital the nurse would weigh me because chemo made me thin.
Then it was time to have the Chemotherapy. This is a mixture of drugs that attacks the cancer cells. The bad thing is chemo attacks good cells to which is why I always threw up.
My brothers were very scared. My mum and dad were very frightened. When I had chemo all of my hair fell out. I looked a bit funny.
Every six months I have to go for a check- up. I like the doctors because they helped me get better. My doctor is Doctor Nicholls. He is a special doctor to me. He saved my life.
I am now in remission. This means the doctors cannot find any cancer in my body. If the doctors say there is still no cancer next year, they will say I am cured.
I can’t play contact sport like rugby, because I only have one kidney now. But I can play lots of other sports, like tennis or golf or athletics.
I have learned a lot from having cancer.
I learned to be grateful for what I’m given, like a family that loves me, cool friends, playing Lego.
I love life now.
LIFE IS EXTRAORDINARY!
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!