Santa Claus

The old man floated in heavenly bliss, swimming in a sea of chocolate and surrounded by dozens happy people, up ahead a sign pointed forward and read ‘paradise.’ A peaceful smile etched itself onto his face, when suddenly, his whole body started rocking like a turbulent plane, and his surroundings vanished, replaced by a stormy sea. The shacking got harder and he started feeling sharp pinches on his arms. The man yelled in fright and tried to swim away, when a bucket-full of icy water fell all around him, knocking the very breath out of him – this was the end, he was sure…
The man gasped and opened his eyes, only to be met by the very red face of a giant hippopotamus, he shrieked, trying to get away. The hippo sighed and jammed a pair of glasses onto the man’s face. Suddenly, the world came into focus, and he found he was staring at the face of the most kindly woman in the world. She smiled a relieved smile but then it turned into a scowl.
“What exactly did you think I was this time?” The lady asked.
The man blushed, not wanting to admit that he saw her as a hippo.
“Nothing darling,” Looking for a change of subject, he turned his head to find out why he had been awakened. “Why, it’s only 5:30am my dear.” The man exclaimed.
The woman sighed and shouted – “TOMMOROW IS CHRISTMAS!”
The man looked puzzled, and then something clicked inside his mind. “CHRISTMAS!” The man yelled and frantically began to claw at his calendar. The woman slumped on the bed, an amused smile playing over her face – this was going to take a while.
Five whole minutes passed and the man suddenly cried out – “Why, darling you are right! I can always count on Mrs Claus to keep me on track can’t I? ”
Mrs Claus smiled and ushered the man to the bathroom. “Right Mr Claus, you better get dressed.”
Mr Claus looked down at his stained shirt and went inside. In the bathroom he pulled on a bright red shirt, next he slipped on a dark black belt and dragged on a pair of bright red pants. He laboured to squish his oversized feet in black boots, and easily slipped on a pair of white gloves. For a finishing touch a red cap went on his head – it had a floppy cone, topped off with a white pompom. He brushed his white beard with careful precision, until not a single hair was out of place. Throwing open the bathroom door; he was met with dozens of tiny people and penguins. Taking a deep breath he opened his mouth and said …
“HO, HO, HO!”
The crowd erupted into frenzied cheers – “Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Santa Claus, Santa Claus!” The cheer went on and on and in the midst was a smiling Mr Claus…
“Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and Rudolph-. Rudolph! Rudolph! RUDOLPH!” Santa Claus frantically searched the stable for his price reindeer. Again and again he called Rudolph’s name, when finally he saw a red glow in the light. Smiling victoriously he grabbed hold of the red nose and pulled the reindeer into the light. What Santa saw took the smile right of his face. Rudolph had caught a cold!
“SOUND THE ALARMS!!!”
The alarms went on and off like a police siren. The best doctors in the whole of the North Pole queued up to treat Rudolph, but they all came up with the same answer – time would heal.
Santa Claus was in hysterics, he didn’t have time! His brain worked in full gear, trying to come up with a possible solution to the problem. He had the presents, the names, the addresses and the experience but he didn’t have Rudolph!
The council of Christmas filed into the room, having come up with a possible, solution –
“Unicorns!” Mrs. Claus shouted. “Unicorns! Where in the world are you going to catch a unicorn?” Mr. Claus shrugged and slumped onto his favorite chair in defeat.
“CRACK!” A cry was followed by the crack of glass outside the room. Mrs. Claus hurried out of the room to check on the disruption. Hearing a gasp, Mr. Claus heaved himself off his bed and went to check out the fuss.
Outside a young, impish elf stood, nervously twisting his fingers behind his back. Mr. Claus narrowed his eyes and questioned the young elf.
“You see sir,” The elf began. “I heard that you needed help getting a few unicorns and I just wanted to make sure.” Mrs. Claus nodded her head for the elf to go on. “You see, I know a place where some unicorns dwell, in the ice forest, if you please, I would willingly get them for you.” Mr. Claus considered the offer for less than 5 seconds and happily agreed and sent the young elf on his way.
“Well, that’s taken care of.” He yelled as he slumped onto his chair. “Honey bring me some cookies will you.”
Mrs. Claus gaped at her husband, truly he was immature sometimes. Opening her mouth to begin a stern lecture she gave up, as she saw a trail of drool run down Mr. Claus’s face as he sunk into a deep sleep. Shaking her head she went outside and waited for the elf to come back.
Wimpy was a young elf only about 12 years old, but if he knew anything it was his unicorns. After all, he secretly played with them all day. As his name suggested unicorns were about the only animal he wasn’t scared of, apart from penguins of course. As Wimpy continued to run through the white ice he came to an abrupt stop. Above him towered the enormous ice forest, soaring far above the clouds and into the sky. Hesitantly, the boy edged around one tall tree at a time, venturing deeper and deeper into ice forest.
As Wimpy continued his slow walk he noticed that the light was fading. Seeing a new shadow a few dark patches around him, he shrieked, mistaking it for a bird or maybe a big spider. Now that he had stopped Wimpy swore he saw a pair of eyes glimmering from a tree hollow. Ice spiders, not good! Although harmless, spiders scared Wimpy far more than a giant bird or a terrifying sea lion. He moved faster, ignoring the nettles that caught at his tights and the damp leaves that brushed against his face. Breaking into a run he galloped at a clearing where he nearly ran right into a unicorn.

Wimpy lifted his face, letting the light and shadows throw strange patterns over his skin. Nuzzling his head was the head of a great winged beast. Wimpy felt a smile spread over his face.
To be continued…









FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!