Quinn, Lyla And The Forest

Quinn was a beautiful, young baby girl who was deeply loved by her mum, dad and her German shepherd, Lyla.
That was until she turned three. Out of the blue, her parents just left. Leaving only her, Lyla, some milk and some food. Quinn never understood why they abandoned her, but for some reason she felt as if they had to for a reason.
Ever since the day they left, Lyla was the one who took charge and looked after Quinn. That's right. Lyla. The German shepherd. Lyla always helped Quinn get milk out of the fridge or grab the biscuits that were out of her reach, she even made her feel safe and kept her warm at night.
Four years on and Quinn grew up to be an even more beautiful, healthy, seven year old girl who on the first of December, could not wipe the smile off her face. This wasn't only because it was her birthday, but because it was the day Lyla allowed Quinn to take her for a walk through the forest. Every other day that Quinn tried to leave the house, Lyla stood in her way. Lyla knew it was her job to protect Quinn and keep her safe, but because it was Quinn's special day, Lyla let it go just this once. Every first of December, Lyla and Quinn walked the same route through the forest. Quinn remembered her mum telling her stories about that forest. Stories about magical things happening in it. Fairies, elves and trolls were just a few she could remember. Of course, she did not fully believe it now that she was seven, but there was something in her that could not let it go.
Quinn and Lyla were well into the forest in under a few minutes and Lyla was watching the birthday girl like a hawk.
"Would you quit that freaky stare you're giving me. You've been doing it ever since we left the house." Quinn had said. Lyla just ignored her and continued her 'freaky stare'. Suddenly, Lyla sensed something that forced her to bark. Quinn whipped around to face Lyla. "What is it Lyla?" she asked as her heart pounded in fright. Quinn looked around for anything that may be of danger to them. Nothing. All she could see were trees, trees and more trees. But then she heard a loud flutter, almost like butterfly wings, only much louder. She looked high and low for where it was coming from and then she found it.
There was a bright, sparkling pink light coming from down near the stream. Quinn took a few steps towards the unfamiliar light with Lyla right on her heel. And there, standing in the light were two familiar figures. "Mum? Dad?" Quinn had said.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!