Some Hero

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

Sitting in sick bay was one of the most boring thing I've ever endured. I sighed, wincing as I dabbed at the crimson fluid trickling from my poor, mistreated, battle shaken nose. And to think, this all happened because I stood up for Kathryn. “Some hero I am.” I mumbled to myself before wincing once again as the unwelcome blood soaked into the wad of what was once white tissue. Now, used as a tourniquet for my misfortune.
I mentally kicked myself for being so reckless. “Stupid Annabeth and her stupid block head.” Annabeth was the girl who was picking on Kathryn. I’d witnessed her tormenting for too long. I got fed up I guess. Someone had to stop her, so, why not try myself?
Yeah, that seemed sensible at the time, but not so much when I ended up in the emergency room with tissue attached to my bleeding nose. When you’re mad and have an adrenaline rush, everything seems like a good idea. “And the consequences are endless.” I said to myself, looking up at the ceiling to try and stop the blood flow. Instead, I got a little dizzy and decided against it.
“Harley right?” I looked to the open door, staring in shock at the dark haired, bright eyed beauty, Jack, standing before me. ‘Oh gosh oh gosh Lorenzo help me!’ I thought to myself, having a panic attack over the fact that he knew my name. He gave me an inquisitive look, bringing me back to the present as I nodded my head in confirmation.
“That’s me alright.” I smiled as best as I could with a crooked nose and a soaking red and white wad against it. He smiled back, eyes sparkling like a thousand emeralds in the sun with glitter and rainbows. I cleared my throat, trying my best and failing to cover the light red dusting my cheeks. “Did you need something?”
“I just wanted to say that, I thought what you did back there was really brave. With Annabeth I mean, not the getting your nose smashed part.” He said rubbing the back of his neck, a nervous habit I’d noticed over the years in school. I laughed lightly, “Thanks. I still think it was pretty stupid though.” I said, looking down at my shoes. “Hey, at least you got a hit in. Plus, she’s in major trouble now, you should be proud. You've done a good thing.”
I smiled, relishing in the good feeling his words gave me. A few seconds past of staring and the bell went, signalling the end of our little contest we had. He coughed, trying to cover the pink dusting his cheeks just as I did. “So, I'll see you around?” he asked, a hint of hope glimmering in his gorgeous eyes. I nodded, “I guess so.” And with a smile and a wave he was off, leaving me in a better mood than before.
So I guess a bloody nose isn't all that bad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!