A Chance Of Freedom

I run freely through the long deep green blades of grass a surge of happiness seeps through me. I feel free. As I take in the sweet colours of the earth I spot a golden fox with the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. It pauses and I try to be as still as possible. It senses me and looks up in alert. It flees from my view with light graceful steps. My heart sinks like an anchor as I realise it might be the last beautiful thing I ever see. I start to chase it, my heavy pounding steps sound like an elephants compared to the foxes. Although I am not a bad runner the fox is to smart and quick as it gets smaller in the distance. However I will not give up, not ever. The landscape in front of me starts to change. The trees are tall and slim, the light grows dimmer. My heart races as I plead myself not to stop. Now all I can see of the gorgeous fox is a bright outline. I stop. Everything is silent. With a sudden feeling of dread I realise I am lost with in the earths surface. I panic as I look around for a miracle, the fox maybe. Nothing. The one last beautiful thing I had seen is gone. I crouch down and curl myself into a tight ball and let myself fall into a deep dark sleep.

I jerk awake. My heart sinks as I find myself back in my dark empty bedroom. I decide to take a walk even though it is dark and cold. It's the middle of winter. I grab. My bennie and quickly pull on my trackers and jumper. I make my way down the spiral stairs. The clock on the wall down stairs shows that is only 5 am. The door ahead of me is open just a crack and i make out the faint sound of my mothers breathing. I feel some relief as I know my mother is safe. I no I have nothing to worry about but all of a sudden I feel like this will be the last time I will see her beautiful face. I know I'm just being silly. I walk along the prickly carpet and make my way to the front door. I walk out into the fresh cool air. I love the way the wind whips against my warm skin and the way the fresh air smells. Outside I feel like I belong. I walk slowly along the narrow concrete path. I see the sun start to rise making the sky a apricot colour. Being outside at this time of the morning is the best part because its quite. You feel like your the only one out there. I pick my feet up and hear them pounding on the bare road. I make my way to the grass. I can see the talk trees swaying in the distance. I stop I struggle to catch my breathe. I am in a field surrounded by deep green grass. I close my eyes and picture myself in the dream. The way the golden fox was in front of me. I sense another's presence. My eyes open. A golden fox with the most beautiful eyes stares up at me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!