Leaving The Shadows

The shadow of the Monster has finally reached our small town. My family and I running from the only place we know, just because we are Jewish. Every corner Mariah, Eliana and I turn is a risk, a risk of being caught, captured, bound and taken away to the horrid death sentence known as the concentration camps. I couldn’t let my little girl and my loving wife be devoured. Guards combed the city for us, searching every nook and cranny. Our only sanctuary from the beast, Australia.

We passed several guards; all looked the same blue eyed and blonde hair, our replacements. Concealed by the shadows of high buildings and dark alley ways we slunk past. The last run to safety, across the gloomy street and into the small cramped boat, our only hope. We ran, the boat was in sight and only metres away. Suddenly out of the shadows came a dark mass, a line of terror. I meet the first threat head on, knocking him over. As he fell I heard a familiar voice, a deep voice filled with terror, it was Daniel and his wife and son, Carmela and David. I helped him up and we piled onto the boat, not looking back as we left the harbor.

The beast loomed in front of the boat, dark and menacing. As it clouded my mind fear and anxiety coursed through my veins leaving me motionless. The fear of being turned around and sent back to the grip of death tormented my mind. All of the guilt brought waves of depression, remembering what I gave up, what I lost, what I needed. The smog from the creature seemed to thicken and darken as we travelled into the eye of the unforgiving storm. The whirlwind of fear slowly destroyed me, I had to endure I had to make it…

I woke the fear inside of me lessening, rays of merciless hope tearing into the beast. The beast gave one last attempt to take me, but the rays were too strong. The beast failed, its grip ceased as it slunk away, back into the dark, meaningless hole whence it came, just waiting and watching for its next victim to feast upon. As the rays shone upon my face a new strength emerged in me, the strength of hope something that I had lost long ago.

As the rays subdued and my eyes adjusted from the brightness the most majestic and magnificent sight materialised on the horizon. A lump of land came into view, a tear came to my eye as the land reminded me of why this journey started, we were at its end and tears of joy streaked my face. We had made it, we left the shadows.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!