New

Mirabelle never had much luck with new schools. Not only because she had been expelled from her last five schools, but because she had a muscular, and sometimes imposing, build. She got this trait from her dad. He was an ex-marine and was obsessed with teaching her to defend herself. From the moment she could walk he taught her everything he knew. Then when she was 13 her dad passed. She hadn’t had friends since.
From the moment she saw the uniform she grew distaste for the school. An itchy, moss green jumper. Formal black shoes and, worst of all, all girls had to wear skirts.
On her first day she bunked off. Day three she got an hour of detention, and things didn’t improve from there. Because the school was posh, the students were all “well behaved”. They were just snobs as far as Mirabelle was concerned. This didn’t mean there weren’t bullies. One of the main ones was a pale, skinny guy called Chuck. She hated him. So one morning she picked up a piece of PVC pipe and found Chuck at the back wall of the school smoking. Then she snapped.
Mirabelle knew this was one situation she wouldn’t be able to talk herself out of. She knew she was done for the moment he had turned the corner. With Chuck on the floor unconscious, and a piece of PVC pipe in her hand. She knew there was no excuse. The year 8 just stared for a little while in disbelief. Then got hold of himself and ran for some-one. Mirabelle ran too. Before she could figure out where she was, she tripped on a branch and face planted. Then she got up and looked around. Oh great she thought you’ve gotten yourself lost.
She looked in every direction but saw nothing but trees. It was almost as though she was talking to herself and guess what? What. You’ve left your bag at school. And map and compass help you? She was so frustrated she screamed out “Damn it!” she kicked a tree and screamed again. Once she had calmed down she decided to pick a direction and walk that way.
She must have been walking for a long time, because her feet were killing her when she met a deep chasm. There she decided to walk along it. She was just getting bored when a tall, muscular boy ran out of the tree line and bowled her over. She flew backwards and just managed to get her hand over a pointy rock jutting out of the side of the cliff. She looked up, and straight into the eyes of the boy. His green eyes reminded her of when her parents took her to the countryside. The green, seemingly endless grassy fields. “OH NO! I’m so sorry, grab my hand…” he held out his hand and yelled some more but she wasn’t paying attention she was imagining herself and the boy on the grass watching the clouds.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!