LEGENDARY

The creature’s claws raked the soft soil, ripping up the grass and leaving a trail of destruction behind them. Dimitri’s voice echoed in the background, “Find them and bring the cub to me!” Ruby heard a whip crack. The forest floor loomed in front of her, the world falling behind her, cast between life and death, she ran. Fear crept in like a pack of snarling wolves; terror gripped her heart, the angry roar rang in her ears. Panting for breath, vines clutched at her legs and pulled her down.

“Ruby, quick get up we need to keep moving.” Her mother cried. A searing pain flared up her arm, hand throbbing. She glanced down at her right hand, as did her mother; there was a gold marking, a symbol.

“Mother what will you do? Ruby whispered.

“I’ll lead them away, but promise me… that no matter what happens you’ll keep going and you will keep it safe.” She said pointing to the gold creature.

“I… I promise.”

“Stay strong, go now before they get here, go to safety.”

Ruby ran and stopped behind a nearby tree to catch one last glimpse of her mother as she bolted in the opposite direction. The monsters followed her like flies to honey but by then it was too late, Dimitri upon his black dragon landed gracefully in front of her, two monsters held her down as she struggled to escape.

“Where is it? I’m losing my patience Sapphire.” Dimitri yelled at her mother.

“Far from you; you’ll never find it for it has chosen and will never be yours.” Sapphire snarled. What he said in return dared not to be spoken.

“You have chosen your fate.” And with that he raised his sword behind his head.

Ruby stepped back, “No” She whispered clutching the golden creature in her arms. She took another step backwards but tripped on a fallen branch. A nearby hellhound saw her and let out a murderous howl, Dimitri and his dragon looked up, the dragon let out a column of fire. The girl ran into the depth of the forest to escape the roaring fire, lost and confused she screamed out for her mother.

“Mother! Where are you? Please… Please help me.” She fell to her knees; her face was ashen and wet with tears, which dripped from her face and into her hands. A large dog like creature crept in, a low growl escaped its throat it leaned on its haunches, claws extended, teeth bared, it pounced. She closed her eyes waiting for the pain to follow, holding the cub tight in her arms, would this be the end?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!