Paradise In Darkness

I see this dream, every night in my sleep. The one where my parents re appear, they’re alive. Where they own a castle, a land, a tribe on a secluded, flourishing island, far away.

Its beauty is priceless; with deep, rich forests, full of delicate creatures. The beaches covered in pristine, flawless, white sand, with the sea inviting you in to the treasures from beneath. The call of the ocean is so irresistible.

The sun rests on the crystal, blue water, far out on the horizon. I watch with envy. It looks so peaceful, so serene…

The castle is tall and grand, far up on the rocky hills in the distance. The ancient towers still glow with magic, while the ocean of trees sway in the gentle breeze below. The tips of the towers seem to stretch forever and at night the windows glow like fireflies in the smoky, black darkness.

I stand there, absorbing this beauty, just like I do every night. I keep expecting it to diminish, to fade away, but yet I am never disappointed. I want to reach out and hold my Mother’s warm and gentle hand, but somehow I know that isn’t possible. For I am just a ghost in this never ending paradise.

Suddenly, the world that I am encased in changes dramatically. The forest no longer looks adventurous, rather hungry with blood, as the creatures shift from fuzzy fur balls with delicate wings, to ravenous beasts with sharp fangs that could pierce through your skin in a flash of seconds.

The sky above me has turned a terrifying grey, mixed with swirls of black. I know this means something dreadful is going to happen, while I’m part of it. I’m the focus, target. The ocean has become angry; thrashing and crashing about, bouncing back hard on the sea floor. There is nothing serene about it; it wants justice.

While the castle has become a very dangerous place; fear slices through me as I look up at it now. A black dome has covered the exterior of the building, while screeching sounds of terror can be heard from within. I can’t tell if they’re human cries or… or something else.

I feel a hand around me, grabbing me from behind. A man with a black mask. He’s got an iron grip on my throat as I try to break free and fail miserably. He leads me to a side street and points a knife at my neck. I’m screaming and howling for help, just as I feel a hand on me pushing me down again. I know this is it and I’m going to die. I only wish I had had the chance to speak to my parents one last time.

I wake up shivering, my hands shaking violently. Sunlight streams through my bedroom window, as I tell my brain that I’m awake. It was just a dream, I keep telling myself. Just a dream. It was…wasn’t it?

By Sarah Sullivan


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!