Learning How To Fly

My rapid heartbeat echoed in my ears, almost drowning out all surrounding noise. Almost. Unfortunately, I wasn’t so lucky and the shouts of my name along with insults still tore at my heart, punctuated by the occasional fist or boot harshly targeting my stomach. I knew I couldn’t stop them on my own, but I couldn’t help but try. I stood when my attackers paused and braced myself again, facing things head on. Even if fight or flight were my only options, I couldn’t run, and fighting wasn’t an option.
I shut my eyes and waited for a punch that never came. I opened my eyes to see my attackers frozen in fear and turned to see something only feasible in my nightmares: my old bullies. A flutter in my heart was the only warning when my legs gave out in renewed fear. The people I had feared most were standing in front of me, glaring ahead at the scene.
As my mind slowly started shutting down, I looked up desperately, hoping for something to stop this, but nothing came. All I saw was an eagle flying above, and I wished I could do the same. I wanted to fly away, to escape.
I snapped out of my trance at a moan of pain, swinging my head back to see a classmate turned bully down on his knees, hand to his cheek. I looked up in time to see one of my unlikely saviours about to swing yet again.
I jumped up with a shout, “No!”
Everyone turned to look at me, and again I wanted to escape, but this time out of anxiety. I struggled to breathe until I felt a strong hand on my shoulder. As I turned and saw the three people I used to fear most nodding supportively, I felt my fears slowly melt away. And then I was flying.
I smiled as I leaned down, hand out to my classmate. He took it hesitantly and I pulled him up as he stared, but I just smiled. I let go of his hand and of patted his shoulder roughly. I said only, “I forgive you.”
At that, I turned and walked away, only I wasn’t running. This time I was flying. I glanced briefly over my shoulder to see my saviours still following me, faces plastered in cheeky grins. I didn’t complain when a hand ruffled my hair slightly and just laughed as the light feeling in my chest just grew more enjoyable.
I smiled again when I thought about that bird and dismissed my previous thoughts. I definitely didn’t need that kind of flight. It’s like that kite you see in the park; it’s flying, but can never get away, and it doesn’t want to, because it knows that it needs its tether for support, lest it be blown away by in wind. Like a kite, I was tied to the people around me in ways I would never admit. They helped me to fly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!