Heaven On Earth

I was once told ‘sticks and stones may break your bones but words could never hurt you’. But as life went on I discovered the truth. That words actually do hurt and that those words could actually bring a life to an end. Dimitri was so young when words proved too much for him. He introduced me to his pain which blew my mind, and I came to finally understand the vicious nature of life.
As I sit in solitude, reflecting on times of grievance and sorrow, I remember his words as if he were speaking them again.



My heart aches as it pounds heavily in my chest. Dimitri was glaring at me with his, deep brown eyes. His eyes once gleamed with happiness and a joy for life; but now they are stricken with anxiety and disdain. “I can’t remember when it all began, the day I became the target” tears were rolling down his face. “They took my happiness. I always yearn to be in my special place!” He must have seen my confusion, “the place where I can be alone. It’s my piece of heaven, where my mind and spirit are free,” he began to shake.
“Dimitri…?” I interrupted.
“No barriers and no one to judge me. The place where I forget the pain that builds inside me, there I am free of everything and most importantly everyone.” I felt a tear roll down my face; he wiped it away, grasping my hand in his, “the wind always blows there, it carries my agony away.”



I brush the grass, thousands of tiny tendrils comfort me, Dimitri’s face becomes a shadow over my eyes his mouth turned a smile, before it faded away to nothing. The birds above are my company, now that he is gone. This place proved to not only be his heaven but mine too.


Leading me through tall trees, I rubbed my eyes at the sudden light shining through the foliage; Dimitri turned, slight grin on his face and spoke calmly. “This is my heaven, but of course it’s only heaven for a while,” his face turned gloomy. “The pain is always near, waiting, calling my name, holding me back, I feel I have no friends, no one to talk to” I began to cry.
“Who am I then Dimitri?” He turned serious, grabbing my arm, pulling me close.
“You’re my everything Kim!” He said holding my close and began to cry.
We stayed hours in heaven before he handed over a note, “don’t read it until tomorrow.” Pulling me into his embrace, Dimitri kissed me.


That was the last time I saw Dimitri.

Dimitri ended his life in heaven that night, taking my heart with him.

As I placed Dimitri’s letter in my pocket, holding it close to my heart, I stood in front of a rope that I knew would end my life just as it did his.

A flash of white light obscured my vision, momentarily later revealing Dimitri’s loving face.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!