Wave Length

“Initiate test protocol 2113” blasted a woman’s voice through an invisible speaker. “To prevent system malfunction please turn off all cellular devices to ensure maximum safety during the test.” Most of the onlookers pulled their phones from their pockets and seemed reluctant to disable themselves from the outside world. After the necessary steps were taken and a droning speech from the sponsor was complete everyone leaned in to see men in coats working away near an object resembling a basketball. Professor Kaganoff, our Russian associate, ambled on stage, an elderly man with a toupee that wasn't quite applied properly.
“Today we grant the world a fictional power described only in witchcraft… invisibility”.
The crowd stared in awe as the orb changed to completely match its environment. It was invisible on all sides. Many were trying to manoeuvre themselves for a different view but the shapeshifter remained to be seen at all. An assistant then placed a white sheet over to prove its physical existence and whipped it away again like a want-to-be magician, pleased with himself.
“Instant re-initializing reflection panels that use wave frequencies to read your eye dilation seamlessly cover the orb” The professor announced “And inside is an external electromagnet powering an adapting central processor that we call ‘Wavelength’. It will adapt perfectly to its surrounding environment and terrain”. The professor looked around the room.
“Not for lack of trying, the defensive forces of our nation shall not receive wave length technology unless given consent by myself”. At these words the crowd dissipated dramatically.
“It seems I haven’t bored everybody- The professor began but was interrupted by a slamming door. Only myself, the professor and another were left behind the protective glass.
We sat in silence for a moment until we were beckoned by Mr Kaganoff. We silently approached the stage and looked out at the still, round object that was no longer camouflaged.
“Beautiful isn't he?” the professor almost whispered.
“Sir weren't there others working with wavelength?” the third member of our group asked. At first I thought it was a stupid question, but he was right. Wavelength was completely unattended but not only that he had also began to rise. A service crane was lifting Wavelength into the air. The professor looked past me; no one was at the controls. The doors clicked in unison. We were locked in.
We wrestled with a door handle but it wouldn't move an inch. Wave length was hovering in line overlooking our glass prison. A metallic voice crackled from the speakers.
”Ahhh the ever wise Professor Kaganoff, winner of 3 Nobel prizes and a member of the science hall within the pentagon?” it inquired.
“Yes?” the professor asked. “Who are you?” My sight somehow slipped to a red spot just inside my peripheral vision… it was blood, the blood of whoever was lying on the floor wearing a white lab coat. “Professor I’m disappointed in you, I am Wavelength”.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!