Quest For The Youthful

He lay there, like a rock. Not moving under the blanket in which he'd made his shelter from the world outside its safety. The cold air brings with it a new calling, he knows its meaning and begins to contemplate weather to leave the safety of the fortress or to brave the unknown lands in search of this call. He came to his conclusion and slowly pushed the sheets apart and the draw bridge to his fortress slammed down and he marched across and stood on the edge of the forest that stretched ahead of him, between him and his destination. He slowly began to march forward, the darkness engulfing him as he went, his caution was natural, seeing the shadows dance and play in the corners of his eyes. Stopping on the now broken road he looked around, something didn’t fit. Then his eyes crossed a small hut with light erupting from the windows and he ran forward and burst through the door. All that was there was a pot on a table, containing warm boiled water. His first quest was complete. He’d set off again but this time something was wrong, eyes bored into the back of his head as soon as he’d left the light of the hut. He began to run, but whatever it was continued to follow and very closely, as if he’d stolen something. He’d run for as long as his lungs would allow and he finally gave in. He drew his sword and mustered his courage and spun around and the shadows behind him seemed to sit still as if startled. He continued walking, the final part of his quest almost complete. He’d found the small out house and had finished up. He leant out of the door and slowly looked around then broke free and into a run. He ran down the road, heading for his fortress, which steadily came into view. But the shadows didn’t stop there and they continued to follow him out of the forest. In one last ditch attempt, he dived forward and cleared the walls of the castle and the bridge lifted up. He smiled and shuffled into the warm embrace of his blankets, knowing his quest was complete.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!