Paranoid

I squeezed my eyes together as tightly as I dared without popping out my protective contact lenses. I hugged my camera tightly and felt Candy’s soft nose snuggled under my chin. I could not believe this was happening! Of all the things that could occur, this was the worst! As I told Rosie on the phone this morning, going on an excursion into the sea to look at Internet cables, or at least that’s what they said, is terrible!
“Do you really want me to come back brainwashed in the holidays?” I had yelled to her and Jarrod on the phone.
“Patsy, that’s nonsense. It’s perfectly safe.” Rosie had answered.
Perfectly safe? Really? Perfectly unsafe if you ask me. Not that anyone ever did. After the entire school had discovered that I was tested as ‘crazy’, and underwent therapy when I was ten, I was officially nicknamed Paranoid Patsy, crazy girl that no-one ever talked to. But that was okay with me, I had my guinea pig Candy, and even though all the teachers had clearly stated that no pets were to be brought on this so-called excursion, she was here. There was no way in the world I was doing this alone. So early this morning, I had worn my favourite black jacket with the secret pocket, and tucked Candy’s black, roly-poly body into the secret compartment.
The boat rocked back and forth as we docked at a tiny island where big, burly men in starch white uniforms patrolled the premises. They marched up to lay down a bridge for us to cross. I eyed them suspiciously; in my mind, they were not to be trusted. “No cameras,” growled a clone, deliberately looking at me. Begrudgingly, I handed it over. Now no-one would ever believe my theory.
We were escorted into a port, where we wordlessly loaded into a submarine. I strode to the back of the vehicle, huddling into the corner to quietly complain to Candy about everything. She was used to it, and didn't even listen to my moaning, just snuffling through my fingers in search of a treat.
“Not now Candy.” I whispered fondly. “You stay hidden away where you can’t be brainwashed.” Unlike me. Would the earplugs even work?
We weren't in the submarine for long before a murmur of confusion started. We had docked at an underground lab. I drew in a quick breath. I was right! Not that anyone would believe me without photographic proof. The murmur of confusion grew to a whisper as we were herded like prisoners into a mirror-lined room. And smack-bang in the middle of it all… tentacle covered, blue little blobs that reeked of evil intentions.
“You’re ours now, you’ll remember none of this,” the aliens started in a hypnotic voice-wave, and everyone immediately stood stock-still, their pupils turning white. Everyone but me. I copied them, but my mind was racing. I would not be brainwashed! And to think I almost didn't wear my contacts this morning…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!