Heartache

“I’m sorry Mrs Fields but you have cancer within the temporal part of your brain, with the sample we have taken of it and tested I’m sorry to say but it’s too far gone to operate on. So we will have to keep you here at the hospital from now onwards” Said the doctor with great sorrow.
“How many days left do I have Doc?” My Nan said very calmly
“I can’t be too sure but your days are limited. I know this is a lot of news to take in so I’ll let you be” He said while he stood up and walked out of the room
It took me a second to process the news and when I did I was flooded with tears streaming down my face and falling into my lap, I looked over to my mum who was crouched over my Nan. My Nan sat there staring off out the window. She knew the news was never going to be good, not a single hope was in her body. My Nan says she’s lived a full life and it’s time for her to be reunited with her husband. I walked over to my Nan and not a single tear had been shed, she wiped my face with her hand and just looked at me like its time.
Sitting around the dinner table was dead silent all you could here was the clank of the cutlery hitting the plates. My little sister is oblivious to what’s going on around her. A part of me is glad and envious of her as she’s too young to fully understand the whole situation. As I lay in my bed all I can here is the muffled sobs of my Mother crying herself to sleep, just hearing the pain my Mother is in makes me all choked up inside and I can feel the tears forming in my eyes; I wipe them away and just close my eyes.
“Sweetie it’s time for you to get up. You aren’t going to school today as your Nanna has gotten worse overnight okay so we are going to go visit her.” Said my Mum trying to hold back the tears and pain.
I jump out of bed and race around the house to get ready.
We walk into my Nans suit and one look at her and I burst into tears. Her frail body looks weak, she is half of the weight she used to be and she has so many tubes and needles connected to her body. I walk over to her bed and hold her hand in mine. She looks straight at me with her bright blue eyes like I’m sorry for putting you through this. My Mother stands next to me putting her arms on my shoulders I look up with tears rushing down my cheeks. I look back at my Nan. She mimes I love you; she turns her head and takes her last deep breath.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!