A Chance Of Freedom

In Central China, a young girl lived in a shabby cottage with her mother. The mother was extremely poor, and that meant no school for her daughter. Each morning when the sun rose from the flowing river, the daughter and mother would get to work. The mother worked at the market selling fresh apples, and the daughter shot pigs to slice and sell. Their lives were poor and out-done, but they never gave up on anything.
As the fluffy clouds spouted out with cool rain, Lea’enna (the daughter) awoke from a fit-full sleep. She climbed out of her hard- tabled bed and slipped on her cow-skin stripped dress. The day was windy and frosty cold. The town was small, and the only thing you could hear was slow silent steps.
Lea’enna left her sleepy mother and walked to the woods, with her heavy gun under her tired arm. (Every Saturday and Sunday she would walk to the woods and shoot pig’s to slice and sell at the busy market)Lea’enna reached the woods, and held her gun up at a scared pig. “BANG,” down went the pig. Blood was trickling down the pigs’ head. Lea’enna walked up to the dead pig and reached for her knife in her pocket. She sliced open the pigs’ tummy and picked out the meat.
Lea’enna carried the pigs’ meat to the market, and set out the meat on the small wooden table. She started to cut up the delicious meat, when her mother came running to her stall.
“Lea’enna,” her mother cried puffing madly. “I just received a letter saying; (her mother showed her)
Dear Ms Fresh and Miss Fresh,
We have accepted your flights and are welcome aboard to Australia.
Her mother rushed in to hug her delighted child.

The excited mother and daughter waved goodbye to Central China and off they flew to Australia. The sun was shining brightly through Lea’ennas airplane window. As Lea’enna looked through her window, faintly she could see a big blue sea below her. Soon the flight was over, and Lea’enna could feel a new life ahead of her.
Lea’enna and her mother stepped out of the small plane, and looked around. An airport. Planes. Never in Lea’ennas life had she seen an airport. The air smelt fresh and clean. Lea’enna and her mother went to collect their luggage and caught a taxi to their new home.
Their new home was much different than their old cottage. It had ceiling’s as white as paper and the furniture was modern. Lea’enna jumped onto the red-leather couch. She closed her drewy eyes and pictured Central China.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!