Walking Home

Walking Home
By Camryn Hansen
A faint mist hung in the air, dampening the sidewalk, and making it look darker than it already was. A cool breeze went past, and my hands started rubbing my arms through my flimsy work uniform. There was no moon, no stars, only a single street lamp illuminated the light, flickering on and off in an uncoordinated fashion. The street was empty, not a soul to be seen, except, well, me.
Suddenly, the street light went out with a large BANG, and everything was dark. Knowing that the lamp would not come on again, I quickly move forward, my heart beating a fast rhythm. As I pasted a dark alleyway, I heard a rustle, and as I looked to where the sound was, I saw a pair of glowing green eyes, staring out at me. There was a flash of lightning, and the rain came down, and when I went to check again, the eyes were gone. I quickened the pace of my steps, praying home would come soon enough.
The rain kept coming down, and my work uniform was drenched, showing what I was wearing underneath. As I kept moving, I realised I didn’t know where I was. As I looked around to see where I was, a voice asked behind me “You lost, miss?” I turned to see a man standing there. I went to say yes, I was lost, and I’m looking for my home, when I noticed how the man was looking at me. He was staring at my chest, which had become see through, and was eyeing me off maliciously. I realised he had no intention of giving me directions.
I turned and ran. How far I ran, I don’t know, I didn’t pay attention. My heart was beating so fast it seemed more like a hum than a beat, and sweat beads hade appeared across my eyebrows. As I stopped to take a breath, I recognised something from my street. I wasn’t far away!
After a couple of steps, I stood in front of my house, warm and inviting, with a home cooked meal and warm bed were waiting. I reached for the doorknob.
Suddenly, hands wrapped around my waist, and I was drawn back. I looked back to see the man from before, staring at me. I went to scream, by his hand wrapped around my mouth, silencing it. I struggled for my life, but my actions were useless as he dragged me into the darkness.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!