Make A Wish


‘Make a wish!’ said mum, right after we had sung Happy Birthday. I closed my eyes and wished what I had been wishing for throughout the last four years, to go to Candyland. Candyland is this wonderful place I saw on TV. There are lollypops sticking out of the ground, chocolate bunnies everywhere and sherbet trees. I closed my eyes and blew out the candles. Everyone would usually start cheering when I blow out the candles, but this time, no one said anything. I opened my eyes; mum or dad weren’t in the room. They must be playing a trick on me I thought. ‘Mum!’ I scream out, ‘This isn’t funny, stop.’ No one replied, so I decided to go outside.

I went outside expecting to see mum and dad, but what I saw…. wasn’t mum and dad. There was melted chocolate everywhere; buildings on fire and every tree had lost their leaves. Where am I? I wondered. Worried, I quickly ran inside and grabbed my dad’s phone. I dialed my friend’s mobile number and waited for him to answer; after about 2 minutes he answered. ‘Dude what’s happened?’ I shouted. ‘THEY’RE COMING’ he shouted, and then he dropped the call.

Confused and scared, I wondered how I got here. Could it have been the wish? I wondered if it was, this isn’t Candyland. I went outside, wanting to get a better perspective of this hellish land. I was outside, walking around. I hadn’t seen any plants, animals or humans yet. After minutes of wandering around, I found 2 crying people that looked a lot like my mum and dad, could it be them?

‘Hello,’ I said, ‘what’s wrong?’
‘Run, free yourself’ said one of them, not even looking at me.
‘From what?’ I replied. The person just looked down and started crying again.
I continued walking around, expecting to find something. After another couple of minutes of walking a came across a couple of people, they were talking. I walked up to them.

‘Hello?’ I said to them. They turned around and stared at me.
‘Its you!’ one of them shouted, walking towards me. Scared, I started sprinting away
‘GET HIM!’ shouted the same person, and they all were running after me; they were slowly catching up with me.

After running for what seemed like forever, I finally came to a dead end. I stopped and one of them grabbed me. ‘He’s waking up,’ he said. I looked at him, confused. Then all of
A sudden, everything was black, I couldn’t see anything. My vision slowly blurred back and I could see my mum and dad, in what looked like a hospital. ‘He’s awake!’ dad shouted.

‘You’ve been in a coma for forty four days’ mum said ‘You blew out the candles, then fell face first into the cake, we had to take you to hospital’
It was just a dream then I thought, then I laughed
‘What’s so funny?’ asked mum
‘I had a weird dream,’ I replied.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!