Starving

Piper McSherley takes a big chance to survive, even though it’s completely illegal.
Starving, that’s what I am, completely starving, I’ve been walking round this selfish town for almost a week, begging for food, and not even one family has offered me any. I guess that’s what gold does to people.
I’m Piper McSherley and I’m possibly the most unlucky girl on earth. In just three months my family have died, I’ve become homeless, and now I’m facing starvation. I’ve suddenly realised that there is no hope, whatsoever. As I walk along the muddy laneway, looking shelter for the night ahead, I decide to give up. Then, I see a small space between two houses, that’ll do. I lie down, curl myself up into a ball, and attempt to fall asleep as the cold rain drips onto my face.
When I awaken I smell the scent of food. I open my eyes to reveal market trestles. Stalls run down the entire lane, filled with fruits and vegetables, meat and candy, pies, and whatever else you can possibly imagine. Then I see it, its hope and joy bundled up into one, its bread. I see a piece lying on the ground, just waiting to be picked up and devoured. I sneak over and take it. Just as I am about to eat, the whistle blows, the governor’s whistle.
The Governor marches up to me and grabs my ear. “You’re coming with me.” he growls. He walks down the lane encouraging people to shout rude and nasty comments at me. When we finally arrive at the police station he throws me in a cell and chains the bars. Then the lights go out and I am left alone with only the sound of the dripping rooves for company. I lie down and think about the wreck in which my life has become. “What can I do,” I whisper, “what”. I realise that my life will never consist of any harmony again. I would do anything for harmony, that’s when a plan pops into my head. A plan to survive.
“Governor”! I shout “Governor”! I hear a sigh as the governor walks up to the bars of my prison cell. “What?”, the governor growls. “Um”, I whimper. “I’d like to work for you in the prison, I can cook and clean, and I only want food to eat.” “Alright you rascal,” The governor says with a very regretful look on his face. “I’ll give you one chance at freedom”. Then the governor takes out a key and unlocks the chains to my cell, “Get working!” he says. I go over to the basin and start washing the gigantic pile of dirty dishes that are lying there. Every now and then I turn and look at the governor. Thank you, I think silently to myself.
Well, I now have a new life. It might not be the best life to have, but it is certainly better than being starving.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!