That Vomiting Feeling

I'm late. A blackout made my alarm clock as useless as a screen door on a submarine. I can feel my perfect school attendance record slipping between my fingers. I'll never be able to walk there on time! A thousand ideas are running through my mind but they are all silenced when the stairs moans echo throughout the house. It is the she-beast that is my mother without makeup.
"Chris, why are you still here?"
"There must have been a blackout last night, my alarm clock didn't go off." Saying this without gasping in horror at some of the things growing out of her face was harder than first imagined.
"That's no excuse, there is a bus stop up the road."
"Mum, you are a genius!" I forced a kiss upon her cheek but made a note to decontaminate my face later.
Mum handed me spare change from her purse while I got breakfast out of the way. I shoved a handful of corn flakes in my mouth and a washed it down with half a carton of milk. Ignoring the strange taste, I continued on with my mission. In one fluent motion I picked up my bag, opened the door and was on my way.
The walk to the bus stop only took seconds and with a stroke of good luck, the bus turned up right on time. I handed the bus driver my spare change and oblivious to every one else on the bus I darted to the second back seat on the left. My personal favorite. Everything's going smoothly, I was going to defy the odds. I raised my head in a triumphant manner and that's when I got that vomiting feeling you get when you are going to vomit. I think back, trying to obtain the cause of my sudden illness. I don't get bus sick. My chicken wasn't raw last night. What could it be?
Oh no. It's coming up. No! Not on the bus. I search for a suitable hiding place as critical seconds pass. I can't hold it in. I grab the first thing my hands find.
"BLUURRGGGG" I taste the remaining 'left overs' that had failed to pass through my mouth. Sour milk. That's why my breakfast tasted strange.
As I put the bag back, I recognized it. I'd seen it somewhere before.
"Hi Chris, I didn't know you caught the bus."
"Hi Miss Henries, It's only for today..." I froze solid. My entire body turned pale. That's where I had recognized the bag. It's my principle Miss Henries handbag. That's not good.
"Not much of a talker hey? Don't worry I'll leave you to it."
I had to get off this bus. My record became obsolete. As I looked around I found my salvation. A bus stop up the hill.RING RING. That sounded a lot like it came from Miss's handbag. I started to shake. This was going to be a tight one.RING RING. There it is again. That sound drilling into my ears. Miss Henries picked up her bag so I hit the 'Bus Stop' button. The bus driver slammed on the brakes. The handbag went flying up. I only saw the vomit come flying down.I didn't bother staying for the screams, I ran but that doesn't mean I didn't hear them.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!