Termination

BANE
Fear.
The scent permeates the stale air of the winding hallway. It is thick, palpable, and I can’t help but lick my lips in anticipation of what is to come. Breathing in deeply, I inhale the delicious aroma. It’s a unique blend of sweat, terror and a sprinkle of trepidation. Just the way I like it.
Making my way down the corridor, I observe my surroundings. The walls are a flawless mahogany and the carpet is a deep, seductive red. A delighted smile pulls up the corner of my lips. The colour is quite fitting, I think.
Overhead, the lights flicker erratically and I am momentarily plunged into darkness. The rhythmic padding of my footsteps is the only sound to be heard. My eyes scan each door I pass, searching for the room number I’ve been assigned to. Soon enough, I spot it not too far ahead. Number two-oh-six.
Reaching the door, I place my hand on the knob and twist. It’s locked, as expected. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at the poor security measure. I mean, really, a locked door? That’s sure to keep a demon out. And is that a crucifix I see on the handle? You’ve got to be kidding me.
Humans can be incredibly ignorant. No wonder they’re below us. The human clearly thinks she knows what she’s dealing with, and I’m going to make it my job to show her how very, very wrong she is.
By the time I’m done with her, she’ll wish she never laid a finger on The King.

VALERIE
I can feel him, feel the darkness he carries, right outside that door. A shiver courses through me as I picture inky-black tendrils shadowing him, writhing in that disturbing way of theirs. The back of my neck prickles in response and I reach around to rub the spot. Knowing that he is so close is terrifying.
I wanted this opportunity to take down the enemy. Begged for it, even. Yet now, when I’m right where I want to be, I’m scared out of my mind and paralysed by my own fear. It’s kind of silly, though. I’ve gone through this a gazillion times, and if everything goes according to plan, then there won’t be anything to worry about. Taking a deep breath, I put my game face on. There’s no turning back now.
I tighten my hair band then turn to face the door. While I have the urge to punch myself in the face for choosing to do this, I know that now is not the time. The door is rippling now, a clear indication that The King will step in at any moment. My heart hammers as a foot finally materialises through the door. Then two. The figure begins to take shape and…
What the… that’s not…
“Valerie Dawson?” he asks.
The face staring back at me causes me to gasp. Without warning, my blood turns cold and I immediately step back.
Well, Crap.
Wrong. Guy.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!