Watcher

A small cluster of flickering lights moved through the thick jungle. They spoke in low voices, quiet, but excited. Tonight was the night, they said. At their destination, a large clearing, they found many other groups of people and the excitement grew. Tonight was the night. Suddenly a hush fell over the crowd. Through the thick undergrowth, a larger group of lights could be seen, coming closer, accompanied by the banging of drums. The party grew closer and closer, until they broke through into the clearing. At the forefront, flanked by two heavyset, dark skinned bodyguards, stood a man resplendent in red and gold clothes, a jewelled dagger hanging from his belt. Yet the crowd’s attention was not focussed on him, but on the litter behind him, borne by four slaves. A path through the crowd opened before them, to the large mound in the centre of the clearing. They stopped when they reached the mound, in front of a large rectangle of polished steel, a door. The Leader, the man who had arrived ahead of the litter, began to speak. “We are gathered here tonight to witness a momentous event in the history of humanity. Tonight is the beginning. Tonight, we reclaim our heritage, to restore humanity to its former glory! Tonight is the night!” He finished at a shout. "TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!" Roared the crowd.
At that moment, movement could be seen through the fabric of the litter. The fabric parted, and an ancient man stepped out. He wasted no time with formalities, nodding briefly to the Leader. As he stepped up to the door, the ground below him glowed blue, and a column of light surrounded him, rotating, scanning him. With an affirmative plink, the blue light disappeared and the door hissed open. He gestured for the Leader to follow, his bright clothes contrasting with the stark white walls, revealed by a seemingly omnidirectional light, casting few shadows. The old man led them through seemingly endless identical white corridors until they reached a circular room, the walls covered in large screens, a control station beneath each. In the centre of the room, there was a plain white circle protruding from the ground. As the man stepped into, screens everywhere flickered into life, a holographic display enveloping the man. He tapped three icons. The Leader looked on mutely.
Outside, a huge grinding noise filled the air, as the mound rose up, far above the treetops, a huge, cylindrical pillar. A brilliant white beam of light stabbed out from the top, streaming up to the sky, before hitting something far above and breaking into a network of scintillating colours, covering the entire globe, joining and separating, calling up other towers to add to the spectacular display of blazing light in the night sky. Far above, a single entity did not join in the celebrations. Watching, waiting in the remnants of the shattered moon, a single thought drifted through its immense mind. Tonight is the night.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!