Leaving Home...

Then bombs started to explode left, right and centre.
I couldn’t find my mum or dad anywhere, or my 4 year old sister.
I knew the only thing I could do was run for my life, because if I stayed, I would get either shot, or blown up sky high.
“MUM! DAD!” I shouted as loud as I could.
Smoke and dust was following me everywhere I ran. I had to keep my tears inside, because I had a crisis to attend to.
I could see a crowd of people who had been captured. They were either get loaded into the terrorist’s trucks, or getting shot in the head and left for the crows.
I couldn’t stay here; I’d be dead for sure.
So I started to run. I didn’t exactly know where to run, so I just ran.
I finally ran into some of the people from my village; the ones who had escaped death and ran from the murderers.
It seemed like there was nowhere we were actually going. Until, we reached the water.
“Get in…” said the leader of our little group.
It wasn’t very luxurious; it was made out of wood. I could see holes in every plank of wood. I knew it would be certain death if I rode in the boat. But it was my last chance to live.
I gave the man on the boat all of my money I had to spare.
It wasn’t a pretty ride, but we finally made it.
Australia, what a beautiful country, it looked marvellous. The grass was greener than I ever could have thought, the flowers were colourful than ever, I bet the citizens are really- Scratch that, I don’t think this is a welcoming country at all.
As soon as I stepped off of the boat, we got caught and sent straight to a detention centre.
I was at my lowest point. I could see people hugging their families for comfort, and all I had was my shaggy clothes that I was wearing.
We got given clothes, but I never wore them. Until, the guards threatened me to put them on.
I saw someone in the distance, they looked familiar, and I definitely knew them. Mum? Was that you? I sprinted to the person who I thought was my mother. It was!
“MUM!” I screamed with excitement while I headed towards her.
She sprung around and had a massive smile on her face.
I couldn’t see my sister nor father anywhere.
It turned out, that my father and sister had been killed during the bombing.
I had my mother. That’s more than I could ask for.
I just knew I had to keep my spirits up if I were to ever get out of that place. All I had to do was stay with my mum and everything will be okay.
I just knew it was going to be a tough time for my family.
I just wanted to go home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!