NEVER WAKE UP...

I didn’t care anymore. My mind was in the phase where I could only focus on solely destroying myself…destroying my flesh. I ran my shaking fingers across the scars that marked my memories. Every scar had a story. My mind flashed back to earlier that day.
* * * * * * *

We were in science class. Everyone gathered together, excited with the experiment. I was left undisturbed, as usual. Suddenly out of the blue, someone shouted from across the room,

“Hey look! Jemma’s arms are bleeding!”

I noticed with horror that the scars on my arms were trickling with blood. Embarrassed, I let my long strands of hair cover my face. Just then, I felt someone roll up my sleeve. Annoyed, I pulled away, but shockingly, it was too late.

“Look! Jemma’s been cutting!”
“What a freak…”
“She self-harms?!”

* * * * * * *

Those piercing words stung my mind. I sliced another cut on my arm. Red flowing blood gushed out of the opening.

I felt the pain leave and come flooding back. It was relieving pain.

……“You do realize you’re a waste of space, don’t you?”……

*Another cut.*

……"For all of our sakes, just kill yourself already!”……


I buried my head in my cut hands, smothering them with blood. I tried to block out my thoughts, but more and more nasty comments from the past permeated my head endlessly.

……“Just kill yourself already…”……

I collapsed into tears; salty tears dissolved in my hands. Although the pain in my arms was tortuous, it was nothing compared to the amount of irritation I was going through. I tugged at my hair violently, suddenly attacked by a wave of frustration. I shot a look at my reflection and found my face constrained with a mixture of tears and blood. I looked pathetic.

With quavering hands, I grabbed the bottle of pills from the bathroom shelf. I took my time fumbling with the lid. Finally, I tipped out a handful of perfectly shaped, milky white pills. Time seemed to slow down. My mind raced. I made risky decisions between life and death. I stared at the pills in my palms that determined my fate. Once again, I heard harsh comments in the back of my mind. Without second thoughts, I scoffed the handful. I forced my teeth down, masticating the tasteless dose, and with difficulty, I gulped the whole lot down. Instantly, I started to feel nauseous and dizzy, but I wouldn’t allow myself to throw up. The world before me began to spin, and I fell to the floor with a heavy thud. Agonizing pain erupted from my shattered body, but I couldn’t care less. I was relieved with the hope of finally ending up somewhere I could be truly happy.

With that, I slept, praying that I would never wake up…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!